Combination of DOIs (for datasets) and Handles (for files) at same time?

瀏覽次數:29 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Volodymyr Kushnarenko

未讀,
2022年7月29日 下午1:30:222022/7/29
收件者:Dataverse Users Community
Dear Dataverse developers team,
could it be possible to configure Dataverse so, that for datasets you get DOIs and for each file inside the dataset you get a Handle. The idea is to reference datasets with DOIs (because of metadata on DataCite, to have a good findability) and all files inside the dataset to reference with Handles (to reduce costs, because a large amount of files can increase subscription price in case of DOIs).

I think, currently is possible to use either DOI or Handle, combination of both types as described above is not possible. But I'm also not sure, if such a feature will be used by the majority of the community (definitely you already had such a discussion). And how difficult could be an implementation (a logic complexity will be definitely increased...), to open an issue for that.

I have this question, because I don't know, how differs a findability in case of DOIs and Handles, if additionally stored metadata fields on the DataCite (DOI) really increase it compare to Handles without metadata. E.g. when user tries to find a "title" via Google, would the DataCite "title" metadata field (DOI) really help in this case or not? If findability is same, then for a big amount of files we can simply use Handles-only solution without extra complexity.

Many thanks for your response in advance,
Vladimir

Philip Durbin

未讀,
2022年7月29日 下午1:53:132022/7/29
收件者:dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Vladimir,

As you suspect, this is not currently possible. You are very welcome to create a GitHub issue for this (please reply on the list with a link if you do).

As for how much work it would be, it's hard to say. As you know, currently you can only configure one PID provider at a time. When we estimate issues we use trivial, small, medium, and large. I'd probably vote large on this one, mostly due to uncertainty. Others may feel differently.

With regard to findability, I feel like DOIs are more findable than Handles because they're supported by DataCite, including their Make Data Count initiative (which Dataverse supports). But I could be wrong about that. I'm happy to hear what others think.

I hope this helps,

Phil

回覆所有人
回覆作者