Importable DDI metadata fields

Joerg Messer

Apr 4, 2013, 5:30:01 PM4/4/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Could someone tell me whether it is possible to import DDI metadata fields beyond those listed in the document "Metadata Mapping of Cataloging Information Fields: DVN, DDI, DC, and FGDC" or do I need to ensure that our metadata crosswalk from Qualified Dublin Core maps to a field in the "DDI Element - Import" column?  We have a few QDC fields which don't map well to the available DDI fields and it would be useful to employ additional DDI Lite (v2.0) stdyDscr fields. On the other hand, if they don't map to anything useful in DVN then there isn't much point.

// Joerg Messer (UBC)

Joerg Messer

May 10, 2013, 7:48:33 PM5/10/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

BTW, the initial confusion on how to deal with the metadata during upload has also passed.  Creating the DDI file required (study.xml) was a little cumbersome for a DDI newbie like myself but seems to be working well now.

Philip Durbin

May 13, 2013, 6:40:51 AM5/13/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Oh good. I was wondering. Please feel free to share any tips here or
at https://github.com/iqss/dvn/wiki
> --

Philip Durbin
Software Developer for http://thedata.org
http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin

August Muench

May 13, 2013, 11:29:33 AM5/13/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I don't want to sound like a moocher, but that is exactly what I'm going to do.  I've been toying around with writing study.xml files for a while, and any code that you would care to share would be greatly appreciated!

Either here or as Phil suggested on the github wiki.

Best,

 - Gus

Joerg Messer

May 14, 2013, 3:48:52 PM5/14/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
August,

I've written my metadata conversion script in Python using the ElementTree library for the QDC -> DDI crosswalk.  It was never meant for distribution and so it may be a bit rough in parts but I'm happy to let you have it as is.  Give me a shout if you're interested.