Role of DOIs and Handles in Dataverse 4.0

Eleni Castro

May 6, 2014, 9:00:29 AM5/6/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Dear Dataverse Community

Concerning the minting/support of DOIs and Handles in the upcoming Dataverse 4.0, we would like to propose to the community:

  1. a plan to remove support for registering new Handles for the Dataset ID (was Global Study ID), and instead focus more on improving support for registering DOIs (via DataCite and EZID),
  2. we will continue to support Handle as "other id", and continue paying for Handle prefixes so that these Handles still resolve.

Your input on this change is extremely important to us, so please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Thanks,

Eleni

--

Eleni Castro
Research Coordinator, Data Acquisition and Archiving, Data Science

August Muench

May 6, 2014, 11:39:08 AM5/6/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

I am confused about whether or not these are changes in the Dataverse 4.0 software ("improve support for registering DOIs") OR in the Harvard implementation of the Dataverse 4.0 service ("continue paying for Handle prefixes").

 - gus

Eleni Castro

May 6, 2014, 12:05:52 PM5/6/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sorry about the confusion and thanks for pointing this out, Gus.

Just to clarify, we are proposing that beginning with:

Dataverse 4.0 software:

- improve support for registering DOIs (DataCite API, EZID)
remove support for registering new Handles
- allow Handles to be displayed in Other ID (installations will need to make sure they still resolve)

Specific to: Harvard implementation of Dataverse 4.0:

- continue paying for Handle prefixes so that they still resolve

Please let me know if there are any questions or concerns.

Cheers
Eleni