Make files in tree view selectable?

Dieuwertje Bloemen

Mar 14, 2023, 4:26:43 AM3/14/23
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,

Does anyone know if there's an option to make the tree view selectable? E.g. click on one of the subfolders to select all the files in that folder and download them in one go.
This is something our researchers have been asking for now that they're uploading larger datasets with a lot of files
As far as I know, this isn't an option. If I'm right in thinking so, does anyone perhaps know if there has ever been any work done for a possible option like this?

Thanks,
Dieuwertje Bloemen
(KU Leuven)

Sebastian Karcher

Mar 14, 2023, 9:20:46 AM3/14/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Correct, the "Tree" view is quite limited as it currently exists and you can't download multiple or all files at once. I'm not aware of any additional work on this, though I'd almost be surprised if there isn't at least a github issue for additional folder features on github.

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Sherry Lake

Mar 14, 2023, 9:56:16 AM3/14/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
There is this issue: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/6691

--
Sherry Lake
University of Virginia Dataverse

On Tue, Mar 14, 2023 at 4:26 AM Dieuwertje Bloemen <dieuwertj...@kuleuven.be> wrote:

Dieuwertje Bloemen

Mar 16, 2023, 6:17:38 AM3/16/23
to Dataverse Users Community
[copy from comment on Github issue 6691]

Hi,

At KU Leuven RDR, we've also been getting questions of users for a similar feature for larger datasets to make downloading a lot of file more structured. We are definitely willing to look into creating a PR for this. However, we thought of maybe developing a simplified version of this. Namely adding a download button for each folder instead of working with selection tick boxes. This because the tix boxes could be a lot more complicated to implement. So, what do you think of this idea? If you have other ideas, be sure to let us know as well as we're still in the brain storming phase.
Here is a preliminary mock-up of what we had in mind:

Mock-up tree view folder download option

Philip Durbin

Mar 16, 2023, 9:12:34 PM3/16/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dieuwertje,

I love the idea (great mockup!) but as I said* in the issue, perhaps the time would be better spent adding the feature to the new React frontend rather than the existing JSF frontend.

That said, if KU Leuven is willing to do the work twice, you'll have the feature faster!

Thanks, as always, for all the ideas and contributions!!

Thanks,

Phil