Password not complex enough

Philipp at UiT

May 18, 2017, 1:33:34 PM5/18/17
to Dataverse Users Community

For one of our sub-dataverses we use an external registration form where researchers from outside our institution can sign up for an account. The registration form automatically generates a password complying to the Dataverse requirement, i.e. at least one letter, at least one number, and at least 6 characters of length. The user information is sent to the user, and we then create an account on behalf of the new user. However, for our latest user the generated password was GCRS518, and Dataverse did not accept this password. I had to change it to gcrs518. So, does this mean that at least one letter has to be lower case?

Best,
Philipp

Philip Durbin

May 18, 2017, 2:03:19 PM5/18/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I feel like I've head this bug report before, probably in the context of https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3150 , but I don't think it's being tracked anywhere. If you'd like to create a GitHub issue, please go ahead.

For what it's work, I just tested it locally by adding `toUpperCase` in the `getPassword` method used by the `BuiltinUsersIT` test and I'm seeing even stranger behavior via the API. One can create the account with an "all uppercase" password but then you can't use it. Very strange. There's a bug in there.

Phil