Order of Releases

Sherry Lake

Jan 16, 2019, 3:15:55 PM1/16/19
to Dataverse Users Community
UVa is upgrading (finally) from 4.8.6.

I noticed that this page is missing a couple of releases https://dataverse.org/goals-roadmap-and-releases:

Isn't there a 4.9.4 and 4.10.1 release?

And because we need to upgrade step by step each release, need to know them all.

(We are not going to do the EXPERIMENTAL upgrade-across-versions solution yet ;-) ).

Thanks.
Sherry

Don Sizemore

Jan 16, 2019, 3:20:29 PM1/16/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sherry,

Odum upgraded comfortably from 4.8.6 to 4.9.4, stepping through each point release as well.
It took me about four hours to do the upgrade; most of that time was spent on two rounds of re-indexing solr.
Note that file PID registration turns on by default. Our archivists wanted it off; to my knowledge that was our only gotcha during the upgrade.

Hope you are well,
Donald

Sherry Lake

Jan 16, 2019, 3:24:18 PM1/16/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Don,

Was there any upgrade needed for solr, or glassfish, apache, or any other gotcha?

Yes, I have 4.9.3 marked as NO FILE PIDs and will turn that off as soon as 4.9.3 is running.

Thanks.
Sherry

Don Sizemore

Jan 16, 2019, 3:27:49 PM1/16/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes, there was a solr re-install (4.6 => 7.3) with another version bump to 7.3.1 looming.
The software change was minor, but in our case each re-index takes about 60 minutes.

Donald

Philip Durbin

Jan 16, 2019, 3:42:43 PM1/16/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sherry,

The canonical list of all Dataverse releases can be found at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/releases as mentioned at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.10.1/installation/upgrading.html

(You're making me wonder if we should add a note about the new experimental upgrade procedure on a future version of that page.)

This page is shorter and shows just the versions without the release notes: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/tags

(A git tag maps to a GitHub release.)

I hope this helps. Good luck with your upgrade!

Phil

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Jan 16, 2019, 3:44:53 PM1/16/19
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Sherry,

There are some releases missing on the roadmap page. I think I accidentally deleted a release from there while doing some updates for the year switchover. I can do a better job of keeping this up to date as well.

For upgrade purposes, please use the list at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/releases.

- Danny

Durand, Gustavo

Jan 16, 2019, 3:54:13 PM1/16/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Unless you care about looking at the state of the app at a release point, you can skip any solr reindexing until the end. (and that way only do it once).

On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 3:28 PM Don Sizemore <don.si...@gmail.com> wrote:
Yes, there was a solr re-install (4.6 => 7.3) with another version bump to 7.3.1 looming.
The software change was minor, but in our case each re-index takes about 60 minutes.

Donald

Sherry Lake

Jan 16, 2019, 4:10:15 PM1/16/19
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, for everyone's answers.

Love this Community!!!!

Gustavo, I do look at the state of the app after each upgrade, so UVa will need to reindex solr at each stage.