DDI <docDscr> usage in DDI Export

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Mar 23, 2018, 2:12:56 AM3/23/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi All
I am mapping Dataverse fields to other metadata standards for harvesting by Australian agencies.  I have noticed that 'DDI Export' is using the <docDscr> to extract and provide Dataverse metadata that is not contained in the "Citation Metadata Block":

<biblCit>
<verStmt>

Will these fields be available in OAI-PMH for clients harvesting our metadata?  I have only read the documentation and have not tested it yet

Does this mean <verStmt> will not be available in the citation block for data sets migrated into Dataverse with existing version levels and version notes?

Thanks
Janet

julian...@g.harvard.edu

Apr 2, 2018, 2:29:57 PM4/2/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Janet,

Sorry for the delay on replying to this and your other post at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dataverse-community/qsY8swD9Hh0.

biblCit and verStmt are in the OAI-PMH dataset metadata records that Dataverse publishes. I can see both fields in this record (under <docDscr> as you wrote):

Does this mean <verStmt> will not be available in the citation block for data sets migrated into Dataverse with existing version levels and version notes?

I'm not familiar enough with how Dataverse harvests dataset metadata (or migrates it in other ways), but if by migrated you mean harvested using OAI-PMH, I'm hoping it will help to see this github issue (https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3297), where it was reported that some fields are not being imported as DDI when harvested. biblCit and verStmt are not in that list of "Fields not searchable/ not imported but that appear in the DDI export", which I assume means both fields are imported when harvested.

Hopefully others who know more can jump in. :)

Julian