OAI (Open Archives Initiative) identifier

Philipp at UiT

Jun 10, 2022, 3:16:34 AM6/10/22
to Dataverse Users Community
I just saw an #OpenRepos tweet about the OAI (Open Archives Initiative) identifier:

I'm not sure whether/how this would be relevant for data repositories (cf. https://twitter.com/petrknoth/status/1534591178292666368), but maybe it's worthwhile investigating it?

Best, Philipp

Czerniak, Andreas

Jun 10, 2022, 3:34:39 AM6/10/22
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi Philipp,

the OAI-PMH unique identifier ( https://www.openarchives.org/OAI/openarchivesprotocol.html#UniqueIdentifier ) is very useful and is used in different ways to process metadata. If this could be a global _persistent_ unique identifier would be nice.

We see global unique identifiers but are not persistent from an aggregator perspective.

The repository managers, as well as the application platforms, could influence the persistent property, I think. In several OAI endpoints we also see unconfigured OAI-PMH identifiers that contain the default values.

And the OAI-PMH identifier should be independent of the resource type.

Best, Andreas

--
Andreas Czerniak

OpenAIRE-NEXUS
www.openaire.eu

Bielefeld University - Library
Universitätsstr. 25 - 33615 Bielefeld - Germany (Winter:UTC+1, Summer:UTC+2)
Tel: +49.521.106.2694
Fax: +49.521.106.4052
www.uni-bielefeld.de
ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-3883-4169