Email SMTP Settings

Sherry Lake

Oct 26, 2016, 3:29:27 PM10/26/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Since UVA "upgraded" their Spam filter (or the box that processes spam), emails to our 1) local Dataverse support, 2) emails to "dataverse contact" - the envelope icon AND 3) email notifications on creation of Dataverses, datasets & other dataverse notices, are not being received.

I am sure they are getting stuck in the filter and not delivered.

On Harvard's demo DV, I tested sending to "dataverse contacts" (which is me at UVA) and that email was received.

So my question is how is mail set up on Harvard's DV? Or how is the DNS set up for Harvard's DV and Harvard's demo DV. UVa's network folk mentioned a "SPF record" on the DNS?

I only ask this question because emails from Harvard DV are delivered to UVa (me), but emails from our UVa dataverse are not. So maybe it's in the DNS record?

Thanks for any advice.
Sherry

Sherry Lake | Scholarly Repository Librarian | University of Virginia Library | shL...@virginia.edu | 434.924.6730 | @shLakeUVA | Alderman Library, 160 N. McCormick Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903 | Alderman 563 | LinkedIn Profile | “Keeper of the Dataverse"

Philip Durbin

Oct 26, 2016, 4:06:18 PM10/26/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sherry,

I'm sorry to hear about your the trouble with your new spam filter. I don't believe we're doing anything special or magic on https://dataverse.harvard.edu or https://demo.dataverse.org to have mail delivered properly. Maybe we do less spam filtering that you do, or something.

Others who know more are welcome to jump in. Sorry I can't be of more assistance.

Phil

Bikramjit Singh

Oct 26, 2016, 4:10:46 PM10/26/16
to Dataverse Users Community
For an easy and not very perfect solution, you can request your mailer admins to whitelist IP of your dataverse instance and the mailer will not apply any spam checks on emails generating from that IP. That's what we did in an other case, but didn't need anything for dataverse.

Regards,
Bikram