How to make DMPs publicly available

Leif Longva

Jan 16, 2018, 5:07:48 AM1/16/18
to Dataverse Users Community

It is becoming increasingly common to make data management plans (DMPs) public. The Norwegian Research Council have recently updated their policy adding a section where they encourage Norwegian research institutions to publish the DMPs of their researchers (cf. – in Norwegian –  https://www.forskningsradet.no/no/Nyheter/Datahandteringsplaner_sikrer_gjenbruk_av_data/1254032409350/p1174467583739). In a recent report, the openAIRE FAIR data expert group recommended the European Research Council (ERC) to establish a registry service to record and collate DMPs for ERC-funded projects (cf. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1120245).

We are now considering how we are going to meet these expectations and recommendations at our university. Some of the questions we have been discussing so far:

- Where to archive the DMPs? In our institutional repository? In an OJS-based Open Access series of ours? In our research data repository together with the dataset(s)?

- How is the workflow between a DMP tool like DMPonline and the archive for publishing DMPs?

We are wondering how other institutions have solved or are approaching these issues. Any input is highly appreciated!

Best regards,

Leif & Philipp
UiT The Arctic University of Norway