Root Certificate has Expired

Sherry Lake

Aug 15, 2018, 11:39:45 AM8/15/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Our test server has stopped working due to one of the root certificates has expired.

We need a replacement CA Cert (what my sysamin says).

Can anyone help with this, offer advice, seen it before?

I found mention of dataverse team notes in the Config guide, but was wondering if there was something new?

We are concerned that our production machine may soon follow and have an expired certificate.

Thanks.
Sherry Lake

Philip Durbin

Aug 15, 2018, 12:22:21 PM8/15/18
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I searched for a SSL cert validator and found https://www.digicert.com/help/ and it says the cert for https://dataverse.lib.virginia.edu is good until May 13, 2020. You can get similar information by clicking the padlock in your browser.

I'm trying to think of a good resource for when you need to update your certs. I guess I'd suggest asking at https://serverfault.com or https://security.stackexchange.com if you run into trouble. Or you can ask your local IT department.

I hope this helps,

Phil

Pete Meyer

Aug 15, 2018, 12:23:15 PM8/15/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Sherry,

Assuming the URL in your footer is the production site you're concerned with; that certificate appears to be valid until May 2020.

The details for replacing this on your test system may vary depending on who you get certificates from; but it's a fairly common thing - all certificates that I've seen have expiration dates.

Best,
Pete

Pete Meyer

Sherry Lake

Aug 15, 2018, 2:53:14 PM8/15/18
to Dataverse Users Community
Upon further investigation, my sysadmin says that the root cert that has expired is used inside of glassfish.

He says he has no idea how glassfish got a cert installed. He has removed it, but our dataverse server (test) is still not working.

So still worried that our production machine may also have this cert expiration problem.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far.
--
Sherry

Pete Meyer

Aug 15, 2018, 4:09:10 PM8/15/18
to Dataverse Users Community
I'm slightly confused - do you know if this is the cert used for application traffic, or if it's possible that it's on the glassfish administration interface?