Problems using DVN with EZproxy

Joerg Messer

Jan 23, 2013, 8:08:12 PM1/23/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Greetings,

I seem to be having some problems when testing DVN with EZproxy.  I've setup the affiliate login for our EZproxy server.  This is a great feature and I have no problems logging in.  Unfortunately when I go to browse a study I'm not able to use the 4 tabs ("Data & Analysis", etc) to navigate.  My understanding was that this problem had been resolved a number of revisions ago.  Has anybody experience similar behaviour?

BTW, our EZproxy DVN stanza is:

Title UBC Library Dataverse
URL http://dataverse.library.ubc.ca/dvn
HostJavascript  dataverse.library.ubc.ca
DomainJavascript dataverse.library.ubc.ca

//Joerg Messer - UBC Library

Condon, Kevin

Jan 24, 2013, 11:43:54 AM1/24/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I seem to be having some problems when testing DVN with EZproxy.  I've setup the affiliate login for our EZproxy server.  This is a great feature and I have no problems logging in.  Unfortunately when I go to browse a study I'm not able to use the 4 tabs ("Data & Analysis", etc) to navigate.  My understanding was that this problem had been resolved a number of revisions ago.  Has anybody experience similar behaviour?

//Joerg Messer - UBC Library

Hi Joerg,

We have seen the same issue here with our EZ proxy. Our issue was due to our use of IceFaces/ AJAX partial updates that use custom headers that were unknown to EZ proxy and so filtered out. Our library staff used the HTTPHeader directive in EZ proxy to authorize the custom header we use, Faces-Request. From our redmine ticket: https://redmine.hmdc.harvard.edu/issues/2352:

The current status is: one of the admins made a configuration change to allow passing through of the Faces-Request header (her emails are attached below). The partial submits appear to be working.

---

It seems Dataverse uses AJAX, we may need to add special ezproxy configurations in order to make it work, in the ezproxy documentation:

“With the advent of AJAX technology, applications running in browsers may now create and use their own custom headers to pass information to web applications. Since these custom headers are unknown to EZproxy, it blocks them, which can prevent the application from working properly. The HTTPHeader directive can be used to authorize the passing of custom headers.”

If so I will need your header name to add to our ezproxy configuration file. Could you also send me the instructions to replicate the problem? thanks

---

I made ezproxy configuration change and tested in qa system using IE/Firefox/Chrome, it worked.

Joerg Messer

Jan 24, 2013, 6:27:49 PM1/24/13
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kevin,

I added "HTTPHeader  Faces-Request" to my Dataverse EZproxy config stanza and all appears well.  Many thanks for the tip.

//Joerg