Dataverse Accessibility

courtne...@gmail.com

Jun 24, 2021, 2:36:40 PM6/24/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello everyone,

It was good seeing many of you at the annual Dataverse Community meeting last week -- thanks to the organizers and presenters.

I'm writing about Dataverse Accessibility. I know there's been an audit of the code and the scores on SiteImprove went up a couple years ago.

What is the status of Dataverse Accessibility efforts at Harvard and beyond? I ask because the Texas Digital Library has committed to work on accessibility audits of all our services over the next few years - in particular WCAG accessibility assessments and VPAT creation.

Has anyone else taken this work on?

Kindly,

Courtney C. Mumma, MAS/MLIS she/her(s) pronounce

Deputy Director, Texas Digital Library

 Email: c.m...@austin.utexas.edu

Schlatter, Tania

Jun 24, 2021, 5:24:17 PM6/24/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Courtney,

It was great to "see" you during the community meeting last week! Thanks for asking about accessibility efforts. We have been making progress by addressing accessibility issues when making improvements as part of UI development. More recently the dev team has been working on non-UI efforts, so accessibility work as part of feature development has slowed. There are some issues in progress related to upgrading Primefaces. Those should help. We have discussed upgrading Bootstrap, which would address some accessibility issues such as default color contrast, but that upgrade requires significant front-end rework. We are discussing resource options, but do not have a plan in place.

Best,
- Tania

--- - - - - -  -  -  -  -   -   -   -
Tania Schlatter
UX & UI Lead, IQSS Product Development
Harvard University

Kaitlin Newson

Jun 25, 2021, 10:42:26 AM6/25/21
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Courtney,

We're very interested in the accessibility of Dataverse as well at Scholars Portal. One thing we did recently was add a custom stylesheet to Dataverse in order to resolve some of the colour contrast problems. We've been reporting issues in the core Dataverse project via GitHub as we find them as well and are hoping to do more testing/reporting (and possibly some pull requests).

Best,
Kaitlin

Courtney Mumma

Jul 8, 2021, 12:48:14 PM7/8/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Much thanks to Tania and Kaitlin for following up with me. Perhaps we can come together in the context of the GDCC, a community call or even in Slack to discuss focusing and resourcing these efforts further. At the very least, TDL is aiming to provide a wiki page for software accessibility information for each of our services - I could see having a one-stop shop for all Dataverse accessibility info being useful to a lot of folks.

Let me know what you think,
Courtney, TDL

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/52dd97ae-2f62-477c-8202-65558046f3e2n%40googlegroups.com.

Schlatter, Tania

Jul 8, 2021, 2:12:43 PM7/8/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Courtney,

I agree having one place for all things Dataverse Accessibility that the community could access sounds useful. Another option would be to have an epic (or parent issue) in GitHub for all accessibility-related issues. We don't typically use GitHub like this, and we might need a plugin like ZenHub, but it would help maintain GitHub's role as the place to go for Dataverse development. I'm sure Danny has some thoughts :) Thanks to Kaitlin for sharing the link to SP's stylesheet.

- Tania