Community Call 11/21

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Nov 20, 2017, 11:29:23 PM11/20/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

We'll have our Community Call tomorrow (11/21) at noon EST. There are two small (but mighty) releases we'll talk about: one that went out last week, and one that we'll make available soon. We'll have time for community questions as well.

As always, you can find the details to call in here:

See you soon!

- Danny

Philip Durbin

Nov 27, 2017, 9:08:19 AM11/27/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Here are the notes from the call from https://docs.google.com/document/d/1SJ7vgg-pp8CflMNTcu7mi9W85Hm-j4bYzRJ6fBuQEkk/edit?usp=sharing

2017-11-21 Dataverse Community Call

Agenda

* 4.8.3 Release
* 4.8.4 Release
* Community Questions

Attendees

* Danny Brooke (IQSS)
* Pete (HMS)
* Slava (DANS)
* Julian (IQSS)
* Gustavo (IQSS)
* James (U of Alberta)
* Sherry Lake (UVA)
* Courtney (TDL)
* Kevin (SP)
* Amber (SP)
* Philip Durbin (IQSS)

Notes

* 4.8.3
   * ORCID Upgrade - to keep ORCID running right now, but will open up opportunities to integrate with ORCID APIs in the future
   * Still the “fill in the box” for ORCID in Metadata, this is focused on ORCID Login
   * UVA uses the ORCID ID in several systems
* 4.8.4
   * Is this the Google Dataset schema.org?
      * Pete: Not the same as Google Scholar
   * Slava: are you exposing metadata or data?
      * Julian: Metadata only as JSON-LD
   * Slava: DANS had experiment to expose subdataverses metadata as JSON-LD and managed to get stars as assessment and rating of datasets ( https://www.google.nl/search?q=hdl:10411/CIYMZG+site:dataverse.nl&cad=h  ). It’s available in Google Search engine results. Also path to DataverseNL subdataverses incorporated to Google SERP by schema.org, for example https://www.google.nl/search?source=hp&ei=YxscWqmNFJ22jwTdz6_QDQ&q=site%3Adataverse.nl&oq=site%3Adataverse.nl&gs_l=psy-ab.3...1401.1401.0.1718.1.1.0.0.0.0.56.56.1.1.0....0...1c.2.64.psy-ab..0.0.0....0.jURiGPzQYOg
* Community Questions
   * (various) Who's going to what upcoming conference?
   * (James) Do we know the release date for Dataverse 5?
      * (Danny) No, look for an announcement on the Google Group.
   * (Kevin) Thank you to Julian and Derek for help with SQL queries for a report. Here’s a link to the first draft of the report https://github.com/scholarsportal/Dataverse_Report
   * (Courtney) Nick Woodward is working on improving the reporting process for our data liaison. He might be interested in this work, Kevin.
   * (Amber) I might present on something I'm calling the "data curation application" in the next year. This has to do with DDI, ADA's recent visit, and Data Explorer.
   * (James) We're still working on Dataverse North.
   * (Slava) We started a new project having to do with linked data. We plan to put terabyte-size files into Dataverse.
      * (Danny) If you want, this can be added to the "Dev Efforts by the Dataverse Community" spreadsheet. You can just leave a comment. Here it is: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pl9U0_CtWQ3oz6ZllvSHeyB0EG1M_vZEC_aZ7hREnhE/edit?usp=sharing
   * (Slava) We're creating Docker images of non-Dataverse applications ( http://hdl.handle.net/10695/PWVGCX ). We are happy to contribute code back to the project after we are finished with the setup.
      * (Pete) You may want to look at non-root for Docker. (singularity containers)
   * (Thalia) When entering dataverse, I have it installed in local, I see the page of glassfish server and 404 error for the pages of dataverse and that has made that I have to be installing every time I see the error. Is there another way to recover the pages? The error is HTTP Status 404- Not found / Description: The requested resource is not available
      * (Phil) This question comes from #dataverse on freenode IRC: http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dataverse/2017-11-21#i_60506
      * Image of status error: https://imgur.com/yi7DxKW