Dataverse support for the Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System (SIOS)

Philipp Conzett

Jun 24, 2024, 12:10:44 PMJun 24
to Dataverse Users Community
DataverseNO would like to implement interoperability support for data to be made searchable and reusable through the Svalbard Integrated Arctic Earth Observing System (SIOS), which is an international observing system for long-term measurements in and around the Norwegian archipelago of Svalbard addressing Earth System Science questions. There is a growing community in Europe and beyond who makes or is interested in making their data reusable through SIOS.

We think the right way to do this is to implement SIOS support in the Dataverse software, so that also other Dataverse installations can benefit from it.

As a first step towards SIOS support, we'd like to establish a metadata schema to be included in the main distribution of Dataverse and make it harvestable through OAI-PMH in alignment with SIOS requirements and recommendations.

To get started working on SIOS support, we'd like to reach out to the community to figure out if other Dataverse installations / community members are interested in joining this work or learning more about it.

We also would like to hear from you if you have any input on how to get started with and what aspects to have in mind when creating a new metadata schema and make it harvestable through OAI-PMH.

Thank you!

Best,
Philipp

Philip Durbin

Jul 8, 2024, 4:47:58 PMJul 8
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Philipp,

This sounds interesting.

One thing to keep in mind with regard to harvesting custom metadata blocks between Dataverse instances is that you'll want to use the "dataverse_json" format because contains all the metadata blocks, even custom ones.

The "OAI_ORE" format also contains all metadata blocks, even custom ones, but that format is not harvestable. Someday it would be nice to have a "complete" format like this that is not Dataverse-specific available through harvesting. (I'm not sure if RO-Crate is complete or not.)

I hope this helps. Good luck with the project!

Phil

Philipp Conzett

Jul 9, 2024, 1:25:50 AMJul 9
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi Phil,

thanks for your feedback!

SIOS currently only supports harvesting using OAI-PMH. My understanding is that Dataverse currently supports OAI-PMH harvesting using a DC representation of the metadata in the Citation Metadata block. Is it possible to add support for OAI-PMH harvesting of other metadata, e.g., stored in other schemas and using another standard than DC? If so, how much work would this require to implement this kind of support?

Best,
Philipp

Philip Durbin

Jul 9, 2024, 9:28:33 AMJul 9
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I just looked through open harvesting issues and didn't find one about allowing harvesting of all metadata blocks (including custom ones) through a standard format. Please feel free to create one!

Philipp Conzett

Jul 10, 2024, 1:32:28 AMJul 10
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks, Phil! I've added an issue about this.
Philipp