Fwd: open science channels

Philip Durbin

Apr 29, 2014, 6:08:02 PM4/29/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Of interest perhaps.

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Philip Durbin" <philip...@harvard.edu>
Date: Apr 29, 2014 5:55 PM
Subject: open science channels
To: <openscienc...@googlegroups.com>

A new one for the list of open science channels:

http://forum.mozillascience.org

Via some great discussion at http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dvn/2014-04-29#i_8741

Phil

On Apr 18, 2014 12:17 PM, "Shauna Gordon-McKeon" <shau...@gmail.com> wrote:
Thanks for making that list!  I've shared it on the #sciencelab IRC channel w/ Kay Thaney, who heads up Mozilla's open science efforts.

On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 5:13 PM, Yaroslav Halchenko <yarik...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Shauna,

Pycon was indeed very nice ;)

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014, Shauna Gordon-McKeon wrote:
>    We met a number of open science advocates at Pycon last week at an open
>    science open space (a kind of informal discussion session, if you're not
>    familiar with the term). We agreed to use this list to follow up with each
>    other, to discuss:
>    1)  What other open science themed mailing lists/communication channels
>    are out there and how we can create more cross-over/communication between
>    different groups of open science advocates.

it would depend on where would you like to draw a boundary for such a
list of lists. E.g. the majority (if not all) of  open source software
projects would consider themselves part of "open science" and those
lists often carry on discussions relating to open thinking and sharing.
On the other hand, there are some (primarily data sharing)
projects which proclaim open science but access to the data is
complicated or even could be forbidden upon request under presumptions
of maintaining subjects' privacy...

Do not take me wrong -- such a list of channels could come very handy, if not
to create a cross-communication but as a resource... So here is my quick
attempt to bootstrap such a list
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Icgoka0ePqQQKmulLsVLx2S-dSVqPO97Sd2evvM59ko/edit?usp=sharing
and welcome you to contribute, and improve, or just say "nah -- not needed
since there is X, Y, Z".

>    2)  How we can allay peoples' fears about open science.

later on that -- need to pick up a kid ;)
--
Yaroslav O. Halchenko, Ph.D.
http://neuro.debian.net http://www.pymvpa.org http://www.fail2ban.org