Restricted file question

Courtney Mumma

Jul 8, 2021, 3:52:53 PM7/8/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,
One of TDL's liaisons is having an issue with a file in a dataset
she's admin on. Please read her query below:

"When I try to restrict the file, I select the file, then click on
“edit files” and select “restrict” and then I fill out the form (I put
“testing” in the box and then check the box to enable access request).
Then I click on “continue” and that box goes away and a green open
lock icon appears on the file, and when I go to another browser, it is
not showing as restricted.

What is weird is if I back up to the dataverse collection level in the
instance where I am logged in, is that it looks like when I tried to
restrict the file, it created a draft?."

Any help would be appreciated.

Courtney

Philip Durbin

Jul 8, 2021, 4:09:47 PM7/8/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that's right. When you change the restriction status of a file in a published dataset, a draft is created. Changes are not visible to the world until the dataset is published.

In Dataverse 5.4 we added* some extra reminders. As in the screenshot below, after restricting a file in a published dataset, you should see this:

"Success! – The selected files have been updated. If it's ready for sharing, please publish it so that others can see these changes."

Hopefully this helps people know that they have to re-publish.

Please let me know if I'm misunderstanding the scenario. I assume you're dealing with a published dataset.

Thanks,

Phil

Screen Shot 2021-07-08 at 4.04.12 PM.png

Schlatter, Tania

Jul 8, 2021, 4:13:51 PM7/8/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Courtney,

My bet is that this is an issue that we know is really problematic – a draft is created, but the user has to navigate to the draft and publish it. This is not evident in the UI. We have several possible solutions, and have tested some. We hope to put one or more fixes in place soon. In the meantime, ask her to go to the draft (draft tab on the dataset page), and click "Publish."

- Tania

On Thu, Jul 8, 2021 at 3:52 PM Courtney Mumma <courtne...@gmail.com> wrote:

Tania Schlatter
UX & UI Lead, IQSS Product Development
Harvard University

Courtney Mumma

Jul 8, 2021, 4:47:55 PM7/8/21
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, y'all! I've passed on your helpful info to the liaison!