Different Licenses for Files in a Dataset

Sherry Lake

Apr 20, 2017, 2:01:07 PM4/20/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Has anyone asked about having different licenses for files?

Currently only the dataset has a license and then all files in the dataset inherit that license.

Any thought or questions about having licenses at the file level?

Thanks
Sherry

Sherry Lake | Scholarly Repository Librarian | University of Virginia Library | shL...@virginia.edu | 434.924.6730 | @shLakeUVA | Alderman Library, 160 N. McCormick Road, Charlottesville, VA 22903 | Alderman 563 | LinkedIn Profile | “Keeper of the Dataverse"

Sebastian Karcher

Apr 20, 2017, 2:39:06 PM4/20/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
You can actually apply a license in the form of an access condition to individual files. If you then set file access permission to all authenticated users, you get something like this:
https://demo.dataverse.org/dataset.xhtml?persistentId=doi:10.5072/FK2/OAAQHI

Sebastian

Sebastian Karcher, PhD
www.sebastiankarcher.com

Philip Durbin

Jochen Apel

Apr 21, 2017, 7:13:07 AM4/21/17
to Dataverse Users Community
We dealt with this case by specifying the licenses and to which parts of the dataset they apply in the "Terms of Use" section.
Example: http://dx.doi.org/10.11588/data/10089

All best, Jochen

Philipp at UiT

Jul 17, 2017, 7:54:51 AM7/17/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Our research data team likes the idea of having the option of licensing at the file level. It would make the license information more visible than summary statement in the Terms tab.

Best,
Philipp

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Jul 19, 2017, 1:16:50 AM7/19/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Sherry
When you refer to 'license' do you mean  the data owner (having exclusive rights) giving 'license' to others in regard to using their work?

I struggle at times to distinguish how 'terms of access' and 'terms of use'  and 'license' are being used here.  I understand 'terms of use' to provide the alternative 'license' to CC0 (or others eg CC-BY etc):

IF CC0 map 2.4.2 useStmt to license ELSE map to termofuse -

If you are unable to use CC0 for datasets you are able to set custom terms of use. Here is an example of a Data Usage Agreement for datasets that have de-identified human subject data.

Thanks
Janet

Sherry Lake

Jul 21, 2017, 1:03:46 PM7/21/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Adding my response to Janet here in the google group discussion thread (I answered via another email account):

Hi Janet,

Let me try to explain what I think the “terms” you ask about mean.

A license expresses how someone can use a dataset (owner granting permission to use a dataset in such a way and usually specifies what those conditions are). If you think about Creative Common Licenses (CC), these are a suit of “conditions” on how a work can be used: work must be cited (BY), work cannot be used for commercial purposes (NC), etc. Dataverse only provides one of these types of licenses (CC0 – do whatever you want with my stuff, I don’t care).

But if you don’t want CC0, dataverse gives an owner an option to specify a different set of terms (which maybe part of a license, maybe not – and maybe is why dataverse uses the phrase “Terms of use” because the terms may not be a specific license (like one of the CC’s). Dataset allows you to set custom terms of use. You can certainly add CC-BY here in the dataverse “Terms of Use” section and that would be a license. Or you could put in a more detailed set of terms (sometimes called a “usage agreement”).

So for me “Terms of Use” on the Dataverse Terms tab on a dataset , is generic for “license” other than CC0.

“Terms of access” in dataverse is only used for files that are restricted. These “terms” give “Information on how and if users can gain access to the restricted files in this dataset.” I can see how setting specific terms of use for a file may some how conflict with a specified license, and that’s sort of how my original question started. If I only want to restrict access to some of my files in dataverse, I probably want to restrict what other users can do with my files (i.e, those restricted files would need to have a different license – or different terms of use).

I hope this has helped.

Anders Conrad

Jul 24, 2017, 3:34:51 AM7/24/17
to Dataverse Users Community
The question seems to relate to the relative independance of files, with respect to datasets. In a recent version of Dataverse, landing pages for files were added, with citations. I would see this as a sign of increasing independance.

Your question makes me think of FAIR principles (Findable, Accessible, Interoperable, Reusable) which has introduced a distinct separation between "data" and "metadata". Both have to be machine readable and processable. The "Reusable" part among other, has the requirement that "(meta)data are released with a clear and accessible data usage license." The separation might indicate that a license must be attached to "data" as well as "metadata" - indeed that "data" might need its own identifier.

I am not sure to what extent you can equal FAIR "data" to Dataverse "File" - and "metadata" to "dataset", but from a European perspective, this is an interesting discussion.

Anders

Sonia Barbosa

Jul 24, 2017, 1:45:06 PM7/24/17
to Dataverse Users Community
I have data that have different access agreements and although all data file are within one dataste, I put the actual license information for particular data files directly within the description. This is a great reminder aside from the TERMS page that certain data files have additional requirements/licensing.

julian...@g.harvard.edu

Jul 24, 2017, 4:28:29 PM7/24/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Knowing what repositories do now to specify different terms of use and access for specific files or types of files will be very helpful as we work on file-level terms metadata for DataTags integration, for which design is being explored now. Thanks for asking about this Sherry!

I just noticed that Jochen's example includes a zip containing files with different types of restrictions specified in the Terms of Use field. Zipping files is a practice we might have to account for.

Sharing any other thoughts, questions, workarounds would be very useful!

Julian

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Sep 17, 2017, 10:37:32 PM9/17/17
to Dataverse Users Community
hi Sonia
How long (word number) are the licenses you include in the data file description box when you upload individual files?  Most licenses are reasonably wordy so i'm wondering how practical this is, and can you include links to some examples please?  Also, how are the different access agreements actioned from this location in the file description?
Thanks
Janet

Sonia Barbosa

Sep 19, 2017, 3:26:36 PM9/19/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Janet:
 Apologies for the delay.
Normally license info is included in the "terms" tab, and not in the file description. Development can tell us the character limit in the file description page if this was ever necessary (if multiple files have difference licensing agreements, or if the licensing info needs to be part of the file metadata, etc...)
The reason the licensing information is included in the terms tab is because we are finally developing the feature where restricted files will have a tab that opens the "terms of access" field, located in the terms tab, and will display the terms, licensing etc...for access to such files.

Let me know if you need more details on this.

Best

Janet McDougall - Australian Data Archive

Sep 21, 2017, 2:03:19 AM9/21/17
to Dataverse Users Community
hi Sonia
Thanks that makes sense then - look forward to seeing how this looks.  Will keep following the progress...
Janet