Sign Up URL

Venkatachalam Kannadasan

Oct 12, 2017, 10:31:10 PM10/12/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Dear all

We are using Shibboleth login for our Dataverse and have disabled the local login. We would like to know whether is there any way to create local accounts for our external members who cannot login through shibboleth. When I tried to access the signup URL directly it throws an error.

Is it possible to create an account by any other means?

Thanks
Venki

Philip Durbin

Oct 12, 2017, 11:03:41 PM10/12/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Venki,

Judging from what you're saying an what I'm seeing at https://researchdata.ntu.edu.sg it sounds like you're running in "remote only" mode as described by http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8/installation/config.html#auth-modes-local-vs-remote-vs-both

You could switch to "both local and remote" mode by changing ":AllowSignUp" to true.

Does that help? Are you saying you don't want to allow sign up because you want to be in control of who signs up? I'm pretty sure that's how https://dataverse.lib.virginia.edu runs. It's possible to create local accounts via API. Maybe that's what Sherry and company at UVa do. Here's how: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.8/api/native-api.html#creating-a-builtin-user

I hope this helps. Please keep the questions coming. :)

Phil

Venkatachalam Kannadasan

Oct 13, 2017, 5:36:41 AM10/13/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Dear Phil

Thanks for the details, I would like not to allow sign up because we want to control who signs up. I will use the API's to create the local accounts on a need basis.

Thanks and Regards
Venki