Restricted dataset feature in v4.x

Bikramjit Singh

Oct 26, 2016, 12:24:41 PM10/26/16
to Dataverse Users Community
Does Dataverse 4.x has "Restricted/Public" Dataset feature similar to v3.6 ?  In 3.6 we could make a study restricted to specific users/IPgroups but in 4 everything seems to be public. Even though we can restrict only files to users/IPgroups in 4.5.1

Philip Durbin

Oct 26, 2016, 12:32:46 PM10/26/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yes, the ability to restrict files is a fundamental part of Dataverse and this feature was brought forward from DVN 3.x to Dataverse 4 as part of the rewrite. Please see http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.5.1/user/dataset-management.html#edit-files for how to restrict files.

Related to this is the "Request Access" workflow at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.5.1/user/dataset-management.html#restricted-files-terms-of-access

I hope this helps!

Phil

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 12:24 PM, Bikramjit Singh <bic...@gmail.com> wrote:
Does Dataverse 4.x has "Restricted/Public" Dataset feature similar to v3.6 ?  In 3.6 we could make a study restricted to specific users/IPgroups but in 4 everything seems to be public. Even though we can restrict only files to users/IPgroups in 4.5.1

Bikramjit Singh

Oct 26, 2016, 12:39:13 PM10/26/16
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Thank you elaborating, but I wanted to know about restrictions on dataset level. In 3.6 you can restrict a full Study/dataset to certain people/IPGroups, I dont see that access restriction on dataset level in 4.

Regards,
Bikram

Philip Durbin

Oct 26, 2016, 12:46:47 PM10/26/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sorry, I was confused. You're right. I was thinking of files. "Restrict Datasets" wasn't on the "3.6 & 4.0 Feature Comparison" spreadsheet at https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1ftHM6E4b9Dft_AvA6KTzeklJyLguItz2_0hNAFL8-VM/edit?usp=sharing but I just added it as a feature that was in DVN 3.x but isn't in Dataverse 4.

Bikramjit Singh

Oct 26, 2016, 12:53:15 PM10/26/16
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Thank you Phil, I hope we can expect this feature in future releases.

-
Bikram

Philip Durbin

Oct 26, 2016, 1:21:20 PM10/26/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I don't believe there are any plans to add the "restrict datasets" feature back in to Dataverse 4 but if you feel strongly about it, please feel free to open a GitHub issue and link to it in this thread. Thanks.