Publish a dataset using sql queries

Michel Bamouni

Jun 30, 2017, 5:10:17 AM6/30/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello,
To import an existing doi into my dataverse, I use sql queries. So I need to publish dataset using an sql command.
I see the state "Draft" and "RELEASED" in datasetVersion table but I don't see a state named "PUBLISH"
Which table I must change to publish my dataset?

Best regards

Michel

Philip Durbin

Jun 30, 2017, 7:00:31 AM6/30/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Please don't. Publishing involves more than changing one field in a database. When a dataset is published, the following things happen:

- Something in the database changes for each file, also setting them to published
- Dataverse reaches out to a DOI or Handle server and changes the state of the DOI or Handle.
- Private URLs are deleted.
- The dataset is reindexed into Solr, deleting draft versions from Solr
- And on and on.

What problem are you trying to solve? :)

Can you publish via API instead? Both SWORD and native APIs allow publishing: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/api

Thanks!

Phil

p.s. The reason it says RELEASED rather that PUBLISHED in the database is that in DVN 3 we would say you release a study (in Dataverse 4 we call a study a dataset). This is like releasing software, I guess. We decided that publishing makes more sense than releasing. Here's something I wrote interally on 2014-04-17 in the middle of the DVN 3 to Dataverse 4 rewrite in a thread called "Public, Private, Published, Unpublished, Release!":

Hmm, we straddle the publishing world and the software world, don't we? We adopt terms from both, which leads to the confusion.

In software we say:

- We'll *release* a new *version* next month
- What *version* are you running?
- We removed the *version* with a security flaw from our download site
- Someone *forked* *version* 2.3 and *released* it under a new name

In publishing, (I think) people say:

- A second *edition* was *published* in January
- I'm reviewing a *draft* of a manuscript
- It's a *unpublished* work
- The work has been *remixed* under the same license

My questions:

1. If datasets are "published" should they have "editions" rather than "versions"?

2. Do we have the concept of *remixing* a dataset? Can you *fork* a dataset?

3. Should we have a special term for a dataset that has never been published/released? We use the word "draft" for this but a draft also applies to an upcoming version of a released/published dataset.

4. Should we continue to borrow terms from both the publishing world and the software world or should we try to standardize on the terminology from one of these worlds?

Whatever we do, let's put in a guide a glossary for the terms we use.

Phil

p.s. I don't really thing we should use the term "editions"... I'm just trying to get people thinking. I think people tend to think of datasets more in terms of software than publishing. For example, http://dataprotocols.org/data-packages/#recommended-fields says "version - a version string identifying the version of the package. It should conform to the Semantic Versioning requirements ( http://semver.org )." Semantic Versioning comes very much from the software world, not the publishing world.

Michel Bamouni

Jun 30, 2017, 8:37:31 AM6/30/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Phil,

Firts af all, thanks for answer.
My problem is that I have an existing doi in datacite and i want to import them into datacite.
To do this, with dataverse api I generate à new doi and after thar, I change this doi with the existing doi of datacite.
I want to publish using sql queries because, I don't need to republish the doi in the datacite repository.

Michel

Philip Durbin

Jun 30, 2017, 8:55:57 AM6/30/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I see. Can you please open a GitHub issue about this? Please write as much as you want: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/new

There are at least three other groups who are trying to do something similar, I think. I want to make sure I understand all the requirements so we can some day plan a feature that meets most or all of them. Thanks!

Phil