Re: [DataTO] Examples

Marcel Fortin

Apr 23, 2013, 12:07:30 PM4/23/13
to dat...@googlegroups.com
One of the things you really want to watch out for when using the city's WMS' is that the city uses NAD27 MTM as a projection, not WGS84 Web Mercator as many web mapping applications tend to use. This makes it hard to mash up using web mapping applications. It's fine in GIS software because you can reproject on the fly.

On 4/22/2013 18:11, Ami Ganguli wrote:
Hello everybody,

I'm just getting my feet wet with Open Data.  It looks amazing!

As an initial project, I thought I would try to use the Web Map Service to create a map along with the OpenLayers Javascript library.  Alas, I can't seem to get it working.  Does anybody have an example that I could look at to get started?

Cheers,
Ami.

Marcel Fortin
Head, Map and Data Library
University of Toronto
@mapsgis

Devin Tu

Oct 25, 2014, 10:14:40 PM10/25/14
to dat...@googlegroups.com
HI Marcel

I ran into this same problem as most of the City WMS is in NAD27 or MTM3?  Is there any way to reproject that through a GIS server or online maps?  We have been going crazy over this.  Will ask the TO Open Data team maybe if they can project their aerial imagery in WGS84 but until then any solution??

James McKinney

Oct 26, 2014, 2:39:11 PM10/26/14
to dat...@googlegroups.com
If you install GDAL you’ll have access to the ogr2ogr shell command, which can be used to transform shapefiles to KML, to reproject files, etc. If you’re doing lots of GIS, it’s definitely worth learning this tool! http://www.gdal.org/ogr2ogr.html

--

---

Stewart Russell

Oct 26, 2014, 7:02:35 PM10/26/14
to dat...@googlegroups.com

MTM makes sense for city measurements, as you can survey them with not much more than a tape measure. It's a once-off configuration when you import the layer into your spatial database, then the coordinate format is automatically(ish) handled.

If you thought CRS fiddling was bad, just wait until you get data in metes and bounds format, or in UTM US Survey Feet (which != international feet) ...

Would it be the right time to tout #MaptimeTO, our monthly meetup of web mapping folks?

Cheers
Stewart