What are the limitations in reproducing Google Maps?

ushnish

Oct 17, 2015, 9:10:59 AM10/17/15
to DataTO

Many organizations plot their locations etc. on Google Maps

IMHO Google Maps makes this easier for most orgs compared to using Open Street Map

Let say I want to compare a map of Zip Car locations to subway stations, both exist in as Google Maps

The Google Permissions page indicates Fair Use enables republishing Google Maps for none commercial e.g. academic purposes, with proper attribution etc. http://www.google.com/permissions/geoguidelines.html#basics

Are there different ways of reproducing a Google Map?

- Reproduce the data in Open Street Map?

- Use API to import Google Map data to QGIS and recreate map?

- Any others/

Ushnish

Stewart C. Russell

Oct 21, 2015, 8:52:30 AM10/21/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-10-16 11:31 PM, ushnish wrote:

> IMHO Google Maps makes this easier for most orgs compared to using Open
> Street Map

Have you looked at the case studies at https://switch2osm.org/ ?

If you're in Toronto, there the OSM meetup and the (occasional) #MapTime
online mapping group who are here to help:
http://www.meetup.com/OpenStreetMap-Toronto/

> Let say I want to compare a map of Zip Car locations to subway stations,
> both exist in as Google Maps

Also in OSM, for example:
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/caW (includes several types of car share)

The Google Maps data - who does it belong to? It's probably from
Zipcar's site, so it's their own proprietary data.

> Are there different ways of reproducing a Google Map?

Not quite sure what you mean here.

> - Reproduce the data in Open Street Map?

As an overlay, yes, if you can get the data via API or scraping. But
please don't import someone else's data into OSM.

> - Use API to import Google Map data to QGIS and recreate map?

If one exists, use the API. But I haven't found a universal one yet.

Stewart

Brian Sutherland

Oct 21, 2015, 6:57:47 PM10/21/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Folks:

Here's a modest contribution to searchable open street maps  -- find any hospital in Canada from wherever you are, with browse and speed-dial.

http://cdn.heathcare

I used leaflet.js, it has a great tutorial site--
http://leafletjs.com/

Google maps API only does autocomplete and text search.

Regards,

B. Sutherland
University of Toronto

--