Toronto Open Data, Data Normalization, and the Amazon Echo / Alexa

David Janes

Jan 13, 2017, 6:53:44 AM1/13/17
to dat...@googlegroups.com
I just got an Alexa Skill published that used Toronto Open Data. It's called "Hey Toronto". What it does is allow you to control a website / kiosk using voice commands, e.g. "Show me skating rinks near Yonge & Eglinton".

You can see a video of it in action here:

The full story, including pointers to the source code and so forth is here:

Of particular note (to you programmer types) is the data normalization, where we take the disparate formats coming from the TOD (Shapefiles, XML, JSON, ...) and convert them into YAML using a Schema.org based vocabulary. For example, here's the "Cultural Hotspots" data set compiled:

And the source code to do this is here:

Regards,
D.

deniscarr

Jan 13, 2017, 1:31:42 PM1/13/17
to DataTO
Hi David,

Just checked this out. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

Denis Carr

Supervisor (IT) Open Data

City of Toronto

denis...@toronto.ca