Building Height data across Toronto

Jessica Carriere

Apr 28, 2016, 4:03:19 PM4/28/16
to DataTO
Hi everyone, I'm doing a research project for Wellesley and I need info on building height.  I've talked to a number of City of TO divisions and they don't have that information.  I can go to open massing data sets via ArcGIS, but I have a data set with thousands of entries and it would take forever.  Any suggestions?

Jeremy Albisser

Apr 28, 2016, 6:13:47 PM4/28/16
to Jessica Carriere
Take a look into the CMHC'S or MPAC data sets. As long as you can convert 'stories' into 'height' according to your definition you should be able to get the data you need.

Feel free to contact me directly if this doesn't pan out for you and I'll see if I can help point you further.

Jeremy
‎@DataTechSoln

--

---

Marcel Fortin

Apr 28, 2016, 6:39:16 PM4/28/16
to dat...@googlegroups.com
What is it that you are trying to do with the building heights?  The massing data has the heights attached in both the shapefile and the geodatabase.

On 2016-04-28 3:18 PM, Jessica Carriere wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm doing a research project for Wellesley and I need info on building height.  I've talked to a number of City of TO divisions and they don't have that information.  I can go to open massing data sets via ArcGIS, but I have a data set with thousands of entries and it would take forever.  Any suggestions?

sean

May 25, 2016, 11:00:25 AM5/25/16
to DataTO
The building height data is in meters (not storeys) in the 3D context massing dataset. If you are looking for storeys, I have a few maps of that area I have produced which detail the buildings over X storeys based on a visual inspection of each building.

Devin Tu

Aug 9, 2016, 2:03:03 PM8/9/16
to DataTO
You should not download the 3D massing but the 2D shapefile that has the building heights.  You need to clarify you exact research.  Are you looking for building heights or storeys?  You will never be able to get the number of storeys unless you go through every Development Application that has been submitted to the city in that area.  That what CBRE and other developer do to justify density.  What I recommend is you use building heights for Wellesley, identify the tallest building and then find the most recent final report for the Development Application approval - they define the storeys.