Re: [DataTO] Places to Grow - Urban growth Centres for Greater Golden Horsehoe

Marcel Fortin

Oct 22, 2012, 1:17:14 PM10/22/12
to dat...@googlegroups.com, tom
We received a number of shapefiles at the library from the ministry of
public infrastructure. I believe these were free, but came with a
license. Here is the metadata for our DVD we received from them:
http://maps.library.utoronto.ca/cgi-bin/datainventory.pl?idnum=685&display=full
If you want, i can try and dig up our contact at the ministry.

--
Marcel Fortin
Map and Data Library, University of Toronto

On 10/22/2012 11:14, tom wrote:
> Has anyone seen shapefiles for the 'urban growth centres' outline in the
> Places to Grow plan for Ontario?
>
> They are shown here as PDF:
> https://www.placestogrow.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=111&Itemid=15
>
> Any guidance is greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Devin Tu

Oct 26, 2014, 2:26:28 PM10/26/14
to dat...@googlegroups.com
Did you ever get the answer for this?  I spoke to the Growth Plan Secretariat and Geoffrey give me a long winded answer about how the build boundary dataset is available by DVD but everything else needs to go through legal and privacy screen to become Open Data (i.e. it will take forever.  I was like "but it is already published".  He hinted that you have to digitize it yourself from the PDF just like NEPTIS do.  NEPTIS has it on their webmaps so you can use that as a reference.

Or Contact Below

Geoffrey Singer, Senior Associate (A)

Growth Policy, Planning and Analysis

Ontario Growth Secretariat

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing

777 Bay Street, 4th Floor, Suite 425

Toronto, ON  M5G 2E5

t. 416-325-5784 f. 416-325-7403

tom weatherburn

Oct 26, 2014, 6:53:20 PM10/26/14
to dat...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Devin.  I actually work at the Ontario Growth Secretariat now as well.  I work with closely with Geoff.  I know there is a push to get shapefiles for much of the growth plan geographies released as open data, however as Geoff mentioned, it is a process with government.  I'll report back here as progress is made.

Thanks

Tom

--

---

Devin Tu

Oct 29, 2014, 11:17:20 PM10/29/14
to dat...@googlegroups.com
As I have worked for MOE and MNR and been involved with Open Data internally in 2014, there is not really a process in government but just whether this has a sense of urgency or priority from the Deputy Minister or Premier office.  Growth Plan data is non risky and already published as a PDF.  There is no legal process or privacy issues and would benefit the community.

Clearly, you stated in your last response in 2012 that you had to digitize the growth center yourself which, demonstrating there is no risk in release it as open data as people like yourself already digitized it.

Best of luck!