6th Year Anniversary of COT Open!

52 views
Skip to first unread message

Keith McDonald COT Open Data Lead

unread,
Jun 23, 2015, 3:26:14 PM6/23/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com
Hello from the Open Data team working with the City of Toronto.

Do you realize the City of Toronto open data initiative will be 6 years old this November? Yep ... November 2 ... time sure flies by!

We've always been interested in how you are using our data but we never pressed you to "tell us" before. In fact, hearing about how you use the data is is deliberately not a requirement of the Open Government License - Toronto.

That being said, we're being asked by our management folks to provide more details. Now, we don't interpret that as being nosy but rather seeing an interest in how things are going: Are people accessing the data files? What's being done? What else do they need? That kind of thing.

And with the 6th anniversary coming up, we thought we could ramp up the ole' Google group and see if we can harness more stories from you. Let's make it a celebratory thing!

We're also looking at presenting a Gallery that documents, in a web gallery-like fashion, examples of your creations. This goes beyond a simple listing of apps or visualizations but to your stories on what motivated you to create these in the first place. We'll have more information on that later but we need to start with wayyyyyyyyyyyy more intelligence from you on what you have going.

Please use this space for letting us know you have something. We'll reach out to you and get the details and do some interviews. Ultimately, this is long overdue and it's time to let the world know what's going on in Toronto with Toronto data.

Talk soon we hope!

Keith
for the Open Data team
@Open_TO

Joey Coleman

unread,
Jun 23, 2015, 3:38:48 PM6/23/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com
Keith,

I look forward to attending whatever anniversary event the team in
Toronto organizes.

Joey Coleman
www.joeycoleman.ca
Open Hamilton

On 2015-06-23 15:23, Keith McDonald COT Open Data Lead wrote:
> Hello from the Open Data team working with the City of Toronto.
>
> Do you realize the City of Toronto open data initiative will be 6 years
> old this November? Yep ... November 2 ... time sure flies by!
>
> We've always been interested in how you are using our data but we never
> pressed you to "tell us" before. In fact, hearing about how you use the
> data is is deliberately _not_ a requirement of the Open Government
> License - Toronto.
>
> That being said, we're being asked by our management folks to provide
> more details. Now, we don't interpret that as being nosy but rather
> seeing an interest in how things are going: Are people accessing the
> data files? What's being done? What else do they need? That kind of thing.
>
> And with the 6th anniversary coming up, we thought we could ramp up the
> ole' Google group and see if we can harness more stories from you. Let's
> make it a celebratory thing!
>
> We're also looking at presenting a Gallery that documents, in a web
> gallery-like fashion, examples of your creations. This goes beyond a
> simple listing of apps or visualizations but to your stories on what
> motivated you to create these in the first place. We'll have more
> information on that later but we need to start with wayyyyyyyyyyyy more
> intelligence from you on what you have going.
>
> Please use this space for letting us know you have something. We'll
> reach out to you and get the details and do some interviews. Ultimately,
> this is long overdue and it's time to let the world know what's going on
> in Toronto with Toronto data.
>
> Talk soon we hope!
>
> Keith
> for the Open Data team
> @Open_TO <http://twitter.com/open_to>
>
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
> Groups "DataTO" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
> an email to datato+un...@googlegroups.com
> <mailto:datato+un...@googlegroups.com>.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.

Keith McDonald COT Open Data Lead

unread,
Jun 23, 2015, 3:43:25 PM6/23/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com
We're hoping to do something even if just a shout out from Nathan Phillips Square.

Savio D'Souza

unread,
Jun 23, 2015, 4:39:49 PM6/23/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com
Hello I am NEW...yea I said that! I would like to know how are people
accessing the files?
Savio
> We're hoping to do something even if just a shout out from Nathan Phillips
> Square.
>
> On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 3:26:14 PM UTC-4, Keith McDonald COT Open
> Data
> Lead wrote:
>>
>> Hello from the Open Data team working with the City of Toronto.
>>
>> Do you realize the City of Toronto open data initiative will be 6 years
>> old this November? Yep ... November 2 ... time sure flies by!
>>
>> We've always been interested in how you are using our data but we never
>> pressed you to "tell us" before. In fact, hearing about how you use the
>> data is is deliberately *not* a requirement of the Open Government
>> @Open_TO <http://twitter.com/open_to>
>>
>>
>
> --
>
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "DataTO" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to datato+un...@googlegroups.com.
> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>


Savio D'Souza
Toronto
sa...@savio.ca
647-991-6067

Wendy S

unread,
Jun 24, 2015, 10:31:55 AM6/24/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com
Savio -- you can see all of the City of Toronto's Open Data at http://www.toronto.ca/open

Keith McDonald COT Open Data Lead

unread,
Jun 24, 2015, 1:10:31 PM6/24/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com

Yes Savio and thanks Wendy. We provide almost 190 data sets in our catalogue. The shortcut to the catalogue is: toronto.ca/datacatalogue

Hope you find materials of interest and, as noted in my post, please let us know what you are doing or might want to be doing with the data. We might also be able to help make data sets more complete etc. The more we know ... the more we can help!

Keith

Stewart C. Russell

unread,
Jun 27, 2015, 11:35:48 AM6/27/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com
On 2015-06-23 03:23 PM, Keith McDonald COT Open Data Lead wrote:
>
> We've always been interested in how you are using our data but we never
> pressed you to "tell us" before.

In the works, eventually:

1) As a means to get more acquainted with the data formats, a "Park My
Food Truck" map. Essentially a parse job on the Dine Safe reports,
joined against the Address Point data MTM coordinates, buffered by
${BYLAW_DISTANCE}, and intersected with road Centrelines. And a whole
bunch of caveats, of course …

2) Reviewing the data for a controlled OpenStreetMap import. The 3D
Massing building outlines, Dine Safe, and Address Point look the most
useful, but they need careful discussion, data transformation and
filtering to be useful to OSM. This will be a long process, with much
discussion amongst the local OSM community.

cheers,
Stewart

Adam Wenneman

unread,
Jul 6, 2015, 1:47:16 PM7/6/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,

First I'd like to thank you and your team for the work you do on the open data catalogue, it's a great resource and is always improving. I first came across the open data site a few summers ago as I was starting my masters program. I played around with a few of the data sets and ended up using the parking ticket data to estimate illegal commercial vehicle parking regression models for my thesis. I wouldn't have been able to research this topic had it not been for the open data catalogue.

Thanks again,

Adam

Joey Coleman

unread,
Jul 6, 2015, 2:52:13 PM7/6/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com
Adam,

As an open data advocate in Hamilton, I wish to thank you for sharing
this use case. Something I didn't foresee open data being used for.

Joey Coleman
Open Hamilton

On 15-07-06 01:29 PM, Adam Wenneman wrote:
> Hi Keith,
>
> First I'd like to thank you and your team for the work you do on the open
> data catalogue, it's a great resource and is always improving. I first came
> across the open data site a few summers ago as I was starting my masters
> program. I played around with a few of the data sets and ended up using the
> parking ticket data to estimate illegal commercial vehicle parking
> regression models for my thesis. I wouldn't have been able to research this
> topic had it not been for the open data catalogue.
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Adam
> adamwe...@gmail.com
>
>
> On Tuesday, June 23, 2015 at 3:26:14 PM UTC-4, Keith McDonald COT Open Data
> Lead wrote:
>> Hello from the Open Data team working with the City of Toronto.
>>
>> Do you realize the City of Toronto open data initiative will be 6 years
>> old this November? Yep ... November 2 ... time sure flies by!
>>
>> We've always been interested in how you are using our data but we never
>> pressed you to "tell us" before. In fact, hearing about how you use the
>> data is is deliberately *not* a requirement of the Open Government
>> License - Toronto.
>>
>> That being said, we're being asked by our management folks to provide more
>> details. Now, we don't interpret that as being nosy but rather seeing an
>> interest in how things are going: Are people accessing the data files?
>> What's being done? What else do they need? That kind of thing.
>>
>> And with the 6th anniversary coming up, we thought we could ramp up the
>> ole' Google group and see if we can harness more stories from you. Let's
>> make it a celebratory thing!
>>
>> We're also looking at presenting a Gallery that documents, in a web
>> gallery-like fashion, examples of your creations. This goes beyond a simple
>> listing of apps or visualizations but to your stories on what motivated you
>> to create these in the first place. We'll have more information on that
>> later but we need to start with wayyyyyyyyyyyy more intelligence from you
>> on what you have going.
>>
>> Please use this space for letting us know you have something. We'll reach
>> out to you and get the details and do some interviews. Ultimately, this is
>> long overdue and it's time to let the world know what's going on in Toronto
>> with Toronto data.
>>
>> Talk soon we hope!
>>
>> Keith
>> for the Open Data team
>> @Open_TO <http://twitter.com/open_to>
>>
>>

Keith McDonald COT Open Data Lead

unread,
Jul 6, 2015, 3:03:26 PM7/6/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com


Yes, cool cool stuff. Keep it coming ....




Keith

Scott Mills

unread,
Jul 6, 2015, 10:05:07 PM7/6/15
to dat...@googlegroups.com

Can we get http://IsThisBikeStolen.com bigger and better somehow?

Allows anyone to check CPIC to see if a bike serial number is reported stolen nationally

Was/is a community started site that works off of an  open port in CPIC specially designed for these purposes

Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages