Hi everybody and moving the discussion....

Bernhard Haslhofer

Dec 3, 2009, 6:56:23 AM12/3/09
to dataset-...@googlegroups.com
(moving our discussion to the mailing list)

please use the doodle link (http://www.doodle.com/rpus628i68nem5hr) for finding a common skype-con slot and assume that you are in the CET Timezone, even if you aren't.

---- quote: Michael ----

OAI-PMH is not really an option IMHO. I had a discussion with iand (Talis)
right before LDC on IRC and (though Talis is big in the library business) he
also did not precisely support this, though Talis would be willing to
support an Atom/AtomPub approach (resources given). Btw, iand pointed out
[1], sort of RESTful alternative. Anyway, I'm happy being proven wrong ;)

[1] http://jangle.org/

-----------

I don't want to propose to use OAI-PMH. I just wanted to express that it is worth to have a look on how they solved the updates. For certain conceptual design decision they had some very good reasons.

Thanks for the jangle link - will have a look at it.

Best,
Bernhard

Research Group Multimedia Information Systems
Department of Distributed and Multimedia Systems
Faculty of Computer Science
University of Vienna

Postal Address: Liebiggasse 4/3-4, 1010 Vienna, Austria
Phone: +43 1 42 77 39635 Fax: +43 1 4277 39649
E-Mail: bernhard....@univie.ac.at
WWW: http://www.cs.univie.ac.at/bernhard.haslhofer

Michael Hausenblas

Dec 3, 2009, 10:23:08 AM12/3/09
to dataset-...@googlegroups.com
Bernhard,

> (moving our discussion to the mailing list)

Thanks! And welcome everyone on board ;)

> please use the doodle link (http://www.doodle.com/rpus628i68nem5hr) for
> finding a common skype-con slot and assume that you are in the CET Timezone,
> even if you aren't.

Cheers,
Michael

--
Dr. Michael Hausenblas
LiDRC - Linked Data Research Centre

Michael Hausenblas

Dec 3, 2009, 10:39:04 AM12/3/09
to dataset-...@googlegroups.com

(ok, and this time the full reply ;)

> please use the doodle link (http://www.doodle.com/rpus628i68nem5hr) for
> finding a common skype-con slot and assume that you are in the CET Timezone,
> even if you aren't.

Done.

> I don't want to propose to use OAI-PMH. I just wanted to express that it is
> worth to have a look on how they solved the updates. For certain conceptual
> design decision they had some very good reasons.

Point taken. Good point, indeed ;)

I earlier proposed that we should use the code repo [1] to capture the LDC
outcome. The more I think about it, the more I think actually the discussion
group Wiki [2] should be the place to gather stuff like use cases, potential
target technologies (such as Atom/APP, Memento, dady, etc.), planning, etc.

So, if no one objects, I set up a simple structure at [2] and init it so
that we have a starting point for next week's discussion.

I further understand that we six (Bernhard, Niko, Carlos, Daniel, Juergen,
myself) are the founding members of this activity. Now, I don't want to
overdo it (in terms of policies and regulations), but we should have a clear
understanding what we do when new people want to join in, etc. - some
lightweight decision making process and management guidelines. This has
turned out beneficial in the past and makes life easier when and if this
starts to take off (what we all hope ;)

Can I ask you, Bernhard, to come up with an agenda for next week, please?

Cheers,
Michael

[1] http://code.google.com/p/dady/
[2] http://groups.google.com/group/dataset-dynamics