[ANN] The Dynamic Linked Data Observatory

juum

Mar 31, 2012, 8:41:06 AM3/31/12
to dataset-...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

long time no news on this group :)

I would like to draw your attention to a new project called the Dynamic Linked Data Observatory[1].

"The Dynamic Linked Data Observatory is a framework to monitor Linked Data over an extended period of time. The core goal of our work is to collect frequent, continuous snapshots of a subset of the Web of Data that is interesting for further study and experimentation, with an aim to capture raw data about the dynamics of Linked Data. The resulting corpora will be made openly and continuously available to the Linked Data research community."

We are very confident that this project will be of high relevance to the research around dataset dynamics.

Best
   juergen

Bernhard Haslhofer

Apr 2, 2012, 2:12:44 PM4/2/12
to dataset-...@googlegroups.com
Thank you, I will have a look at it and would be very interested in your results, in particular which parameters you use and what the values of these parameters are for different data sources.

I am currently working on ResourceSync (http://www.niso.org/workrooms/resourcesync/) and knowing about the change aspects of real world DS would be very interesting for us…

Thx,
Bernhard

Bernhard Haslhofer
Postdoc Associate
Cornell Information Science
301 College Ave.
Ithaca, NY 14850
WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~bh392/
Skype: bernhard.haslhofer

Juergen Umbrich

Apr 2, 2012, 3:43:17 PM4/2/12
to dataset-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bernhard

> Thank you, I will have a look at it and would be very interested in your results, in particular which parameters you use and what the values of these parameters are for different data sources.

We published[1] the reasons and thoughts about the process at the upcoming LDOW workshop at WWW 2012.
I do not fully understand what you mean with values and parameters.

Any comments, suggestions or critics about our selection process and the final monitoring are highly welcome.

> I am currently working on ResourceSync (http://www.niso.org/workrooms/resourcesync/) and knowing about the change aspects of real world DS would be very interesting for us…

Cool, looks very interesting.
Let us know if we can be of help and/or if our targeted data providers and dynamic monitoring approach (cf. Section 4 in [1]) would fit into your definition of real world DS?

Best
juergen

[1] http://events.linkeddata.org/ldow2012/papers/ldow2012-paper-14.pdf

Ed Summers

Apr 3, 2012, 6:38:19 AM4/3/12
to dataset-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bernhard,

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 2:12 PM, Bernhard Haslhofer
<bernhard....@cornell.edu> wrote:
> I am currently working on ResourceSync (http://www.niso.org/workrooms/resourcesync/) and knowing about the change aspects of real world DS would be very interesting for us…

It would be great if you could share early drafts of resourcesync here
for feedback if possible.

//Ed

Bernhard Haslhofer

Apr 3, 2012, 8:45:30 AM4/3/12
to dataset-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jürgen,

with "parameters" I mean the measurable dynamics aspects of a data source. How often do resources change in a DS (change frequency), what "types" of changes can you observe (create, update, delete), etc.

For us it would be interesting to have a table similar to Table 1 in your paper, with some additional columns showing the "values" for these parameters for each data source.

Maybe you can consider this in your monitoring process…

Bernhard

Bernhard Haslhofer
Postdoc Associate
Cornell Information Science
301 College Ave.
Ithaca, NY 14850
WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~bh392/
Skype: bernhard.haslhofer

Bernhard Haslhofer

Apr 3, 2012, 8:46:20 AM4/3/12
to dataset-...@googlegroups.com
…sure.

Bernhard Haslhofer
Postdoc Associate
Cornell Information Science
301 College Ave.
Ithaca, NY 14850
WWW: http://www.cs.cornell.edu/~bh392/
Skype: bernhard.haslhofer

Juergen Umbrich

Apr 3, 2012, 8:54:25 AM4/3/12
to dataset-...@googlegroups.com, dy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bernhard

> Hi Jürgen,
>
> with "parameters" I mean the measurable dynamics aspects of a data source. How often do resources change in a DS (change frequency), what "types" of changes can you observe (create, update, delete), etc.
>
> For us it would be interesting to have a table similar to Table 1 in your paper, with some additional columns showing the "values" for these parameters for each data source.

> Maybe you can consider this in your monitoring process…

Yes, we thought about providing basics dynamic statistics along the data dumps and log files since we compute the deltas between to snapshots for our adaptive monitoring anyhow.
I like the idea of presenting these statics per data provider.

Thanks for the feedback.