Recovering Corrupt doc, xls & ppt Files Created with Office 2007/2010

socrtwo

Nov 9, 2011, 7:25:38 PM11/9/11
to Data Recovery Freeware
I had the luck of getting a corrupt xls file a few days ago that
revealed to me a new method for recovering corrupt Excel files.
Apparently the file was a hybrid of xls and xlsx code. To recover the
data I used my effective zip repair program (Zip Repair Pro, although
free ones might work too), which recognized the zip parts and removed
the rest. The file ten immediately opened as an xlsx file. Well maybe
that isn't entirely true, but Excel was able to display a bona-fide
spreadsheet after doing a little of its recovery work on the file.

So this reveals to me a new kind of corruption, hybridization between
the old format Office 97-2003 (BIFF) files and the new zipped Office
2007/2010 (Office Open) format files.