8tb security locked - whats the trick.

Alandata Recovery

Dec 14, 2020, 4:54:56 PM12/14/20
to datarecoveryce.
have an wd hgst 8tb helium security locked drive

trying to erase

whats the trick...

--
Alandata Data Recovery -  (949)287-3282
"Cleanroom Data Recovery of RAID, VMware, NAS, Linux, Tape, Disk, Forensics"

t...@desertdatarecovery.com

Dec 14, 2020, 6:09:11 PM12/14/20
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com

Do you mean its locked in the PC3000 utility, or locked via SATA?

Tim Homer - Lead Engineer

Desert Data Recovery

t...@desertdatarecovery.com

www.desertdatarecovery.com

Alandata Recovery

Dec 14, 2020, 7:32:39 PM12/14/20
to datarecoveryce.
bring it up i pc3k and it says security locked hard drive

so I should be able to issues a secure erase to remove the pw but its not...

pbzcbf...@gmail.com

Dec 14, 2020, 9:00:07 PM12/14/20
to DataRecoveryCertification
An ATA Secure Erase command expects that you first set a password on an unlocked drive and then supply that password with a subsequent Secure Erase command. Ergo you cannot secure erase a drive whose password is unknown to you.

A cryptoerase or PSID Revert can make use of a PSID code printed on the label of certain models to erase the drive.

t...@desertdatarecovery.com

Dec 15, 2020, 10:05:44 AM12/15/20
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com

I think with these drives its because its not supported yet.

This is just how PC3K handles it.

As it cannot access the PCB/SA, it presumes its locked.

Alandata Recovery

Dec 16, 2020, 1:04:00 PM12/16/20
to datarecoveryce.
so the drive was bought from an ebay reseller
he used parted magic to erase the drive
it got interrupted and left the drive password locked
the default password was.... password

I was able to permanently unlock it.

$300 Data Recovery

Dec 17, 2020, 2:09:20 PM12/17/20
to DataRecoveryCertification
Say wha!? That's a first I think. I've always known this error to be false and the real problem is likely heads, platter damage, or firmware corruption. I think you found the one time the "security locked" message was real! :)