PGP Encrypted Drive

Philip Shaw

Jun 8, 2024, 9:35:08 AMJun 8
to DataRecoveryCertification
Good morning. I have a customer who has PGP encryption on her computer and the computer failed. She took it to the company she used to work for but they couldn't help. I have an image of the drive but since it is encrypted there is no folder structure and nothing in raw recovery. Is there some tool that is available to decrypt this drive?

Thanks.

LUIS D AGUILAR

Jun 8, 2024, 9:53:08 AMJun 8
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com
Do you have the PGP Keys for Decrypt it? As far as I know not all Revovery Softwares includes an Option for PGP Decrypt.  As BitLocker you must have the PGP Hash Keys to Decrypt it.  If you got R-Studio or UFS Explorer reach them for help.  Maybe one of them have a Special Function to Decrypt PGP but Need the Keys.

--
Data Recovery Certification Group / for issue with google group please email sc...@myharddrivedied.com
---

Philip Shaw

Jun 8, 2024, 10:11:32 AMJun 8
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com
I do have the key. I tried R-Studio and UFS Explorer but they don't seem to offer decryption for PGP. I guess I can try downloading PGP itself but I just wanted to see if there was some other way of doing it.

Thanks.

Alandata Recovery

Jun 8, 2024, 11:45:06 AMJun 8
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com
What version of pgp?
How old is this system.
The first sector of the drive or volume gives clues to the version.
Was it bootable?
If you try to boot does it come up with pgp boot screen?  There should also be a help out info screen there.

I dealt with this a lot.
I would clone the drive.
The pgp decryptor is on a bootable floppy. Boot the floppy, enter key and decrypt drive.
I imagine this could be done virtually.
I have a collection of pgp floppies.

Another way is to install PGP on a system and then attach the encrypted drive as a secondary drive and use PGP to decrypt.

wayne horner

Jun 8, 2024, 1:01:44 PMJun 8
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com
Some notes....

To use a WDRT via the command line to decrypt a slaved disk
Windows XP
 Click Start>Run.
Type cmd in the Open field and click OK.
Change to the following directory: C:\Program Files\PGP Corporation\PGP Desktop
Determine the disk number by typing
     pgpwde --enum
Press Enter:
Verify the WDRT of the authorized user of the disk by typing
     pgpwde --disk <Disk #> --verify-user --rt <Whole Disk Recovery token>
Decrypt the disk using a WDRT by typing
     pgpwde --disk <Disk #> --decrypt --rt <Whole Disk Recovery token>
Example:
pgpwde --disk 2 --decrypt --rt 91J56-ZGYE1-25F06-HUT4V-CQUK2-YJE
Press Enter.
pgpwde --disk 2 --decrypt --rt H9AAR-2DCU0-VQ3W0-YBCJD-XP5VU-L5F
recovery images here
https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH214378.html
Symantec Drive Encryption command line tool.
Usage: pgpwde --action [--options,...]

ACTIONS
  -h, --help
      Print this help

  --info

Alandata Data Recovery -  (949)287-3282
"Cleanroom Data Recovery of RAID, VMware, Network Attached Storage, Linux, Tape, Disk, Forensics"

Rennex _

Jun 10, 2024, 4:14:46 AMJun 10
to DataRecoveryCertification
Passware offers that feature.. if you don't mind the cost.
pgp.png