Ontrack is screwing with platters.

Artem Rubtsov

Jun 24, 2024, 3:48:30 PMJun 24
to DataRecoveryCertification
Just FYI.
I got 3rd case after Ontrack already with the similar issues.
Ontrack probably adopted new technique recently. It looks like they are trying to re-coat the platters, probably to prevent further media damage.
Unfortunately whatever the process they are using, it is not thought through enough.
From the looks of it, the platters have new lubricant layer deposited on them but the layer is too thick. The heads burrow to the lubricant and die quickly. If you check the heads under a microscope it would look like black greasy smudges.

This lubricant is also extremely difficult to remove from the platters, even with a solvent, it sticks to the platters well.

t...@desertdatarecovery.com

Jun 24, 2024, 4:59:22 PMJun 24
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for letting us know.

--
Data Recovery Certification Group / for issue with google group please email sc...@myharddrivedied.com
---

Data Recovery Guru

Jun 24, 2024, 5:02:04 PMJun 24
to datarecovery...@googlegroups.com
Good to know, thank you.

I kind of stopped taking cases in that go to them first.

Always a headache.