Profiling In the wild apps using data portability technology

bngu

May 21, 2008, 9:11:47 PM5/21/08
to DataPortability.Action.Technical
In an offline conversation with Chris Messina, we discussed the idea
of creating blog-length interviews with various in the wild apps
describing their processes and the technologies that they use with
regards to data portability. The goal is to profile real use cases,
solutions, and lessons learned when it comes to the current state of
affairs for data portability technology. I took a stab at it and wrote
the first post here
http://ungeekdapo.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/in-the-wild-snapshot1-lessons-from-my-xfn-coding-experiment/

I would like to write a series of these posts and would like feedback
from this group on if you find them useful. I am in the process of
lining up an interview with Steve Williams to talk about Digg's recent
release supporting XFN, hCard, and RDFa. Also, if you have such an app
and wants to be interviewed, let me know and we can set it up.
Suggestions and feedback welcomed.

Brady BD

May 22, 2008, 10:54:57 PM5/22/08
to DataPortability.Action.Technical
Bob, I think this is great. You have a big +1 from me.

--
Brady Brim-DeForest
www.brimdeforest.com

On May 21, 6:11 pm, bngu <bob_...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> In an offline conversation with Chris Messina, we discussed the idea
> of creating blog-length interviews with various in the wild apps
> describing their processes and the technologies that they use with
> regards to data portability. The goal is to profile real use cases,
> solutions, and lessons learned when it comes to the current state of
> affairs for data portability technology. I took a stab at it and wrote
> the first post herehttp://ungeekdapo.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/in-the-wild-snapshot1-less...

Julian Bond

May 23, 2008, 2:34:42 AM5/23/08
to dataportability...@googlegroups.com
bngu <bob...@yahoo.com> Wed, 21 May 2008 18:11:47

Good stuff. The more evangelism the better. But please focus if possible
on people who use the data as much as people who produce the data. I'm
underwhelmed by Digg because marking up existing pages is easy.
Consuming that data is the hard part.

I'd recommend trying to talk to the DiSo people and especially the guy
behind http://singpolyma.net

--
Julian Bond E&MSN: julian_bond at voidstar.com M: +44 (0)77 5907 2173
Webmaster: http://www.ecademy.com/ T: +44 (0)192 0412 433

Bob Ngu

May 23, 2008, 12:48:59 PM5/23/08
to DataPortability.Action.Technical
Julian, good suggestion, I will ping Stephen Weber and see if I can
get an interview with him. To the best of my ability, I will try to
balance interviews with both producers and consumers, in fact, I am
working with Josh Patterson now on an interview for his floe.tv
consumer effort. Let me know if you are interested in doing an
interview also since you are actively trying to consume such data, it
would be great to get your story as well.

On May 22, 11:34 pm, Julian Bond <julian_b...@voidstar.com> wrote:
> bngu <bob_...@yahoo.com> Wed, 21 May 2008 18:11:47
>

> >In an offline conversation with Chris Messina, we discussed the idea
> >of creating blog-length interviews with various in the wild apps
> >describing their processes and the technologies that they use with
> >regards to data portability. The goal is to profile real use cases,
> >solutions, and lessons learned when it comes to the current state of
> >affairs for data portability technology. I took a stab at it and wrote
> >the first post here
> >http://ungeekdapo.wordpress.com/2008/05/18/in-the-wild-snapshot1-lessons
> >-from-my-xfn-coding-experiment/
>
> >I would like to write a series of these posts and would like feedback
> >from this group on if you find them useful. I am in the process of
> >lining up an interview with Steve Williams to talk about Digg's recent
> >release supporting XFN, hCard, and RDFa. Also, if you have such an app
> >and wants to be interviewed, let me know and we can set it up.
> >Suggestions and feedback welcomed.
>
> Good stuff. The more evangelism the better. But please focus if possible
> on people who use the data as much as people who produce the data. I'm
> underwhelmed by Digg because marking up existing pages is easy.
> Consuming that data is the hard part.
>
> I'd recommend trying to talk to the DiSo people and especially the guy
> behindhttp://singpolyma.net

Bob Ngu

May 24, 2008, 2:29:26 PM5/24/08
to DataPortability.Action.Technical
An excellent in the wild post written by Josh Patterson
http://ungeekdapo.wordpress.com/2008/05/24/in-the-wild-snapshot2-floetv/

Anyone else interested for an interview, let me know.