Proposal for Documentation structure

Christian Scholz / Tao Takashi (SL)

May 6, 2008, 7:46:19 PM5/6/08
to dataportability...@googlegroups.com
Hi!

Unfortunately I did not get responses for my previous emails so I try
again and will add a proposal.

The main thing I would like to discuss is this:

http://wiki.dataportability.org/display/dpmain/Copy+of+Best+Practices+Document+1+-++Login+and+Discovery

Is the structure ok? I tried to make clear: a) what the problem is we
are trying to solve and b) make clear how to solve it.

Then there is the question of scope here: Paul said that he wanted a
more wholistic approach and thus adding profile and contacts data as
well.
I generally would agree but for me this initial Best Practice document
seems to be the basis of everything else. So to me it would make sense
to have it separate and be able to reference it from all the others
(like from one which might handle photos etc.). The second one might
then be
about socialgraph problems which is profiles and links/contacts between them.
It also makes sense to me in order to get this one out quickly. It has
a limited scope, we discussed it a lot and there shouldn't be too many
open issues (mainly AX I guess). Then the main task would be to clean
up the technical specs and make everything somewhat more formal and
clear.
(probably we should also explain a bit more what the Service Catalogue
actually is, I can add that to the Goal section). And another
advantage would be
to be more flexible in how you can mix these elements up into groups
of DP conformity (like the socialgraph group, the multimedia group
etc.)

Then there is the question of where it should be. Should this "final"
documentation be part of the Action Group space or separate?
The advantage of having it separate would be that we can put Julians
Action List as list of potential projects up and probably can put
more internal items there like standards to consider etc.

So my proposal would be:

1. Move the introduction to Use Cases and the BP docs outside the
Technical Action Group (at least away from it's homepage but it should
be linked of course).

2. Move the discussions in that first BP doc out into a list of
projects (mainly the action list)

3. Setup a better landing page for the Action Group, putting the
participation options on top as well as a link to the docs and below
that is the actual working area with projects

4. Create Best Practice document 2 (at least the structure) for the
SocialGraph problem which covers use cases 2+3 (even this could be
IMHO 2 BP docs, I like keeping scope small
and chunks understandable/manageable).

I am more or less a bit stuck here in how to go on with it so I would
like to get this out of the way.

-- Christian

--
Christian Scholz