My EuroPython presentation on DataPortabilty (and pydataportabilty)

Christian Scholz / Tao Takashi (SL)

Jul 16, 2008, 7:55:26 AM7/16/08
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com, dataportability...@googlegroups.com
Hi there!

Last week at EuroPython 2008, I was talking about "DataPortability and
Python". It was good to see that there was some interest at least
measuring by the fact that the room was full. I described the main
problem (mostly by showing Michael Pick's great video which seems to
be the fastest way to get the point across) and dived a little into
some of the technologies which might be of use for DataPortability,
namely OpenId, OAuth, XRDS-Simple, Microformats and FOAF.
I ended with an introduction about pydataportability which aims to
support many of those standards and weave them together to some more
higher level API (I added some discovery mechanisms recently).

So here are the slides, I hope they are understandable without the actual talk:

http://www.slideshare.net/mrtopf/europython-2008-dataportability-and-python

My next steps with pydataportabilty is btw to add some socialgraph
layer on top of discovery once I finished discovery, added some tests
and examples.
Supporting Google's SocialGraph API and probably OpenSocial is also on
my list of things I would like to add. But that probably will take a
little time.

As for the conference, there were also some people interested in
working on pydataportability (I showed it in the end to one of them
and explained the structure during the sprint) and of course I also
asked them to join this group :) So if you should be one of them why
not introduce yourself? :-)

cheers,

Christian

--