Welcome to new workgroup members

Chris Saad

Jan 9, 2008, 5:05:00 AM1/9/08
to DataPortability Workgroup
Hi everyone. Been a lot of action last few days (http://
www.techmeme.com/080108/p72#a080108p72). Please introduce yourselves
(although most of you require no introduction!) and let us know your
thoughts about the potential of DataPortability.

Also - Congrats to Brad and OpenID on this news!
http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/01/08/the-openid-train-steams-ahead-google-ibm-and-verisign-said-to-be-joining/

Cheers,

Chris

Kristopher - Zooomr

Jan 9, 2008, 5:59:36 AM1/9/08
to DataPortability Workgroup
Hey guys -- good to have you on board.

kristopher

Josh Patterson

Jan 9, 2008, 1:36:48 PM1/9/08
to DataPortability Workgroup
Hey guys (Matthew, Brad, Joseph, etc)
My name is Josh Patterson, I wrote the first "idea" document for WRFS,
I work with Paul, JLewis, Chris, and Zef on the spec. Glad to have
you!

(old doc)
http://cowbell.floe.tv/WRFS_11_20_2007.html

Josh

On Jan 9, 5:05 am, Chris Saad <chris.s...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone. Been a lot of action last few days (http://www.techmeme.com/080108/p72#a080108p72). Please introduce yourselves
> (although most of you require no introduction!) and let us know your
> thoughts about the potential of DataPortability.
>
> Also - Congrats to Brad and OpenID on this news!http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/01/08/the-openid-train-steams-ahead-go...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Chris

TheSocialNetworker

Jan 9, 2008, 2:03:22 PM1/9/08
to DataPortability Workgroup
Hello all - I am Chris Miller, owner of the blog and podcast
TheSocialNetworker. Data portability is something I talk about
(outside of proper aggregation) and was glad to see Chris and the
group move forward with this. I am here to help write the action
packs and usability side of things. (dev is not my strength, ha)

Chris

Matthew Rothenberg

Jan 9, 2008, 2:16:10 PM1/9/08
to datapor...@googlegroups.com
On Jan 9, 2008 2:05 AM, Chris Saad <chris...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please introduce yourselves
> (although most of you require no introduction!) and let us know your
> thoughts about the potential of DataPortability.

Hi all!

My name is Matthew Rothenberg, and I am primarily here to represent
Flickr. I head up much of our product development, and am also
directly responsible for all integrations we do with third parties and
our policies related to such. (Prior to this, I spent a good chunk of
my life as a researcher looking at how technical standards affect
social information exchange, so I have a deep-seated nerdy interest in
the topic as well.)

My particular areas of interest for discussion are:
* Privacy implications.
* Opt-in procedures for identity association / aggregation / syndication.
* Metadata standards for image archives (of course).

I'd like to help with developing industry best practices, and am also
happy to answer (most) questions about how Flickr approaches things.

I have an incredibly out of date homepage at http://mroth.info and you
can email me at mr...@flickr.com.

Josh Patterson

Jan 9, 2008, 2:46:43 PM1/9/08
to DataPortability Workgroup
hey Matthew,
yeah, I think you'll be keenly interested in how the wNode is gonna
work. It's a political hot topic right now, and I think the FOAF guys
are up in arms about, well, basically everything (in the pub group). I
think we have a decent model on how it does what it needs to do, and
now we are defining the small nook and cranny details. I believe the
first draft spec will come out in the next few days, and then everyone
can comment (read: throw things). I'm really big (no matter how it
renders itself, XRDS, FOAF, whatever) on having the wNode only show
the correct parties the correct info, etc, and it being totally opt-in
to those type things --- which addresses those first two points of
interest of yours. Also, at the "data container" level, Zef is busy
specing how that data, metadata, and ops work. I'm sure you might be
interested in that as well.

Anyway, I look forward to having you in the group,

Josh

On Jan 9, 2:16 pm, "Matthew Rothenberg" <mrothenb...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have an incredibly out of date homepage athttp://mroth.infoand you

Josh Patterson

Jan 9, 2008, 2:48:03 PM1/9/08
to DataPortability Workgroup
Action pack writing will be a huge help, I'm sure. We're wearing
keyboards out as it is trying to get it all down, so its much
appreciated!

Josh

Danny Ayers

Jan 9, 2008, 6:45:35 PM1/9/08
to datapor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris, Matthew, Brad... (anyone else!?)

Great to have to on board.

My name's Danny, I'm a Semantic Web enthusiast. I work for Talis,
mostly around community aspects of the Talis Platform
(http://talis.com/platform).

My main line of interest is in moving the Web forward towards a Web of
data, generally along the lines of what Tim Berners-Lee's called the
Giant Global Graph.

In the context of this group, to me this mostly means mapping things
to standard models like FOAF and associated vocabularies (expressed in
the format of your choice :-) and exploiting Linked Data
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linked_Data).

I'm on a couple of W3C working groups where portable data is a
significant concern (SWEO and GRDDL), so I'm hoping to informally
liaise there a little. I do like coding, so I'm going to be watching
the ideas around here for things to hook up to the Talis Platform.

However I do believe there are pretty big, largely non-technical
issues in the way of DataPortability related to the aspects Matthew
mentioned - essentially I reckon we need more sophisticated licensing
and privacy management. See:

http://blogs.talis.com/nodalities/2008/01/data_licenses_for_social_netwo.php

Bleah, my resumish page is long out of date, have a couple of bloggish
links instead:
http://dannyayers.com
http://blogs.talis.com/nodalities/this_weeks_semantic_web/

Latest column for IEEE Internet Computing - Graph-related:
http://dannyayers.com/docs/ieee/w5

I'm usually on #swig and #talis on irc.freenode.net as danja.

Cheers,
Danny.

--

http://dannyayers.com

Mike Reynolds

Jan 10, 2008, 10:18:58 AM1/10/08
to DataPortability Workgroup
Welcome Matthew, Brad, Joseph and others. I'm just an "old school"
developer/blogger looking to take advantage of new efficient web
technologies as they come out, especially if they are easy to use.

Joseph Smarr

Jan 10, 2008, 11:11:43 AM1/10/08
to datapor...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone, I'm Joseph Smarr from Plaxo. I'm a strong advocate for opening up the social web, and I've implemented a lot of the technologies we're discussing inside Plaxo (OpenID, microformats, online identity consolidaton, etc.) and I'm hoping to work on others as well like OAuth and APML. I've also done a lot of public speaking and community involvement in these areas. It's great to see this workgroup get so much positive attention, and that means it's now strongly incumbent upon us to deliver some results that will really change the way mainstream users live on the social web!

For more background, my website is josephsmarr.com and you can get all my current contact info at joseph.myplaxo.com. I also co-authored a Bill of Rights for Users of the Social Web at OpenSocialWeb.org. And of course I encourage you to check out Plaxo, if you haven't already done so. Our whole deal is empowering users to stay connected to the people they care about across all the different tools and services they use, so open is good for our business as well as something I'm personally passionate about.

I think the last week or so's press frenzy has made it clear that a) data portability is something people are very eager to talk about, and b) there's still lots of room for healthy debate on the particulars. The best way I know to advance the debate is to get a bunch of smart people with different points-of-view together to work things out. That's just what we're going to do here.

Looking forward to working with this group!! Thanks, js

Robyn Tippins

Jan 14, 2008, 8:32:40 PM1/14/08
to datapor...@googlegroups.com
Hiya fellow open advocates.  I'm a Yahoo working on the Platforms team.  I was the MyBlogLog Community Mgr before this.  Developer tools are my main focus, the developer experience to be exact, so I am sure I will learn much more from all of you than I am able to repay with my limited experience.

I do have a passion for openness though, specifically when it comes to social networks and OpenID and online identity consolidation, so I'm really glad to take part in the group (thanks for the invite!).  My background is varied, but mostly revolves around blogging, videoblogging, videogames, RSS, community and marketing.  I'm not very good at describing myself, so if you want to learn more you can google, err yahoo, me.  Cheers!

--
Robyn Tippins
408-718-0886

On Jan 10, 2008 8:11 AM, Joseph Smarr <jsm...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Jon

Jan 15, 2008, 10:22:30 AM1/15/08
to DataPortability Workgroup
Robyn, Joseph, Mike, Josh, Matthew, Chris...
Welcome aboard! Good to have you as part of the team.

Jon