Q. Amazon's Cloud Drive: Your data portability concerns?

Phil Wolff

Mar 29, 2011, 1:11:39 PM3/29/11
to dataportabi...@googlegroups.com
Would you answer a few questions for a blog post?

Mike Masnick raises some great questions[1] about the music industry wanting Amazon to pay licenses for files stored in user accounts. More, it seems you must upload files from a PC to your bit locker, even if the files are already in an Amazon or some other cloud. What are the data portability issues? Should Amazon let import from more locations? Include by reference? Set up synchronization services with other online hosts? Disclose or let you control where on Earth your data is kept? Does the service include a complete and thorough ability to extract all of your files and metadata?

How about not telling anyone what is in your locker? Is that the point where privacy meets portability?

Please email me to blog on http://DataPortability.org. Our blog is now the Project's front page and our public voice. We should post your timely opinion and analysis. Ping me and I will set up your account and we can quickly talk tools and style (five minutes).

[1] http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110329/02085613669/amazon-launches-digital-music-locker-even-as-legality-is-still-question.shtml

Your editor,

Phil Wolff
pwo...@gmail.com