Problem with API?

Charles Champagne

Jan 3, 2018, 8:20:40 PM1/3/18
to Open Data Ottawa
I use a popular Android App to access OC transport trip information.

Recently, the app has become unresponsive. The developer states in the Android app store that the API is not responding as it should. He has apparently gotten in touch with OC support but hasn't gotten an answer.

Has anyone encountered this and found a fix for it?

Jean-Francois Bibeau

Jan 29, 2018, 9:03:57 PM1/29/18
to Open Data Ottawa
For what's it worth, I'm also a dev of an Android app for OC Transpo and can confirm their API servers are really behaving badly right now. I've contacted them a week ago and no replies. Trying to mitigate within the app code but it's not great.

Cyrus Kafai Wu

Jan 30, 2018, 7:36:34 PM1/30/18
to Open Data Ottawa
Slow on my end too. The only things I have done is develop methods to reduce API load.

My technique:
- link gtfs_trips trip_id with real time api TripStartTime, RouteNo, DirectionID
- then calculate the delay, difference between scheduled and actual time (gps)
- and then add or subtract that delay to all stops on that trip