Elections 2024 mapping

Nikhil VJ

Apr 26, 2024, 7:12:58 AMApr 26
to datameet
Hi,
Some sharings, queries and call for information on elections 2024 (a bit late!)

1. Have the Parliamentary Constituencies seen any changes in their delimitations after 2019 elections?

Related links:
You can download just the folder using : https://download-directory.github.io/

For comparing with official ECI release:
There, at the bottom "General Election Schedule" opens a PDF which starts showing maps from pg59 onwards. direct link which might not directly open

I've made high-res images of these pages and saved them here:

J&K : I know there's changes. If anyone can share the new shapes of J&K PCs, would be really helpful.

2. Is there an interactive map of the Parliamentary Constiuencies, with election dates and other info?

If not, then one crowd-sourcing appeal:
a. Open this google spreadsheet and request editing access (I'll approve if you don't sound like a spammer), or just do commenting:

b. Using the PDF mentioned above, find in the voting (also called "polling") date for the constituency, and paste it into this sheet. You can start from pg.63 onwards..
Some states are happening all at-a-go so those should be easier to tag.

If yes, then pls ignore a & b and just share link to the interactive map, thanks much!

How filling the google spreadsheet can help:
I have shapefile with these columns. I can merge back in the election dates and publish the map.

Here's a raw version without the dates: https://server.nikhilvj.co.in/elections24/2019-PCs-simp1.html

Disclaimer : it's directly a render of the datameet 2019 PCs data, with a 100meter simplification done to reduce size. there are gaps in the shape data and some areas left out. That doesn't mean those folks can't vote, pls don't take it that way.

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ

Arun Ganesh

Apr 26, 2024, 8:26:21 AMApr 26
to data...@googlegroups.com
Timely initiative, Nikhil.
Managed to find a vector version of the ECI shapes. Have uploaded as a simplified shape and points, and includes the phases and polling dates https://gist.github.com/planemad/1e2b63f6b9806970db749f19980ffd25

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Nikhil VJ

Apr 26, 2024, 3:33:01 PMApr 26
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Arun!

Made a map!

Used the same color scheme as on ECI's own map : https://elections24.eci.gov.in/img/map.png

Screenshot:

Made it using folium lib in python this time.

Would anybody know what these attributes mean:

DOA  example: 16-3-2024(Saturday)
DOIN  example: 20-3-2024(Wednesday)
LDFN  example: 27-3-2024(Wednesday)
DSN  example: 28-3-2024(Thursday)
LDWC  example: 30-3-2024(Saturday)
DOCV  example: 4-6-2024(Tuesday)

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ

VAIBHAV PURI

Apr 26, 2024, 11:41:40 PMApr 26
to data...@googlegroups.com
DOCV being 4 June would mean Date of Counting Votes

LDFN would mean Last Date For Nomination
So guessing these would be dates of filing nominations, cancellation voting and counting

Regards,

Vaibhav Puri
Assistant Professor
Department of Economics
Sri Guru Gobind Singh College of Commerce
University of Delhi

VAIBHAV PURI

Sai Santosh

May 1, 2024, 3:03:47 PMMay 1
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nikhil,

We can decipher by referring to Page 62 in the notification

DOA: Data of Announcement
DOIN: Date of Issue of Notification
LDFN: Last Date for filing of Nominations
DSN: Date of Scrutiny of Nominations
LDWC: Last date for withdrawal of Candidature
DOCV: Date of Counting of Votes

--

•  Sai Santosh
•  Lead- Data Research | Dataful

Screenshot 2024-04-27 at 7.36.30 AM.png

Vaidya

May 2, 2024, 6:07:57 AMMay 2
to data...@googlegroups.com
You can download both pre- and post- 2022 (when J&K delimitation happened) maps here:
https://data.opencity.in/dataset/parliamentary-elections-2019-map
The source is livingatlas.esri.in for the new maps and bharatmaps for 2019.
The only difference is in J&K.

Thanks,
Vaidya

Nikhil VJ

Jun 4, 2024, 5:59:19 AMJun 4
to datameet
Hi,

I've updated my map with a link to see the vote counts and lead / winner for each constituency when you click on that constituency:

Screenshot from 2024-06-04 15-27-40.png

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ