Image storage, browsing and retrieval

61 vues

Shivangi Desai

non lue,
3 nov. 2022, 01:13:3303/11/2022
à data...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

At Goonj (https://goonj.org/) we have lots of photos (from different projects/events/ continuous field work etc). So to manage these photos we are looking for photo management solutions.

We would want one in which we can add photos from the backend (using forms or from android applications etc) and which would have some fields associated with it (like boundary information, project/event information etc). So would need filtering and or tagging based on these parameters.

I am currently looking into google photos API for this but wanted to check if any of you have used any other applications or solution recommendations.

Thank You,
Regards,
Shivangi

Dilawar Singh

non lue,
3 nov. 2022, 01:24:1203/11/2022
à datameet
https://github.com/nextcloud/photos may just fit the bill.

- Self hosted (+/- depending on how you look at it). I run one on an AWS $5/month instance and it is enough for our small org right now. we don't use it for photos though.
- it may not be hard to link google form to Nextcloud (but Zapier doesn't have integration, so what do i know..).
- Have an Android app. Possibly iOS as well. You have to tag the photos. Or arrange them in different folders.

Nextcloud is a very popular solution and a lot of plugins. You may to browse through them to check if something suitable it here. Before you plan to self host on a dedicated server, you can try it on a shared instance. Its easy to install but hard to upgrade (used to break often).
My MilesWeb shared account cost me ~ Rs. 2k per year.

best,
   Dilawar

---- On Thu, 03 Nov 2022 10:43:16 +0530 Shivangi Desai <shivang...@gmail.com> wrote ---

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Dilawar Singh
Cofounder & CTO, Subconscious Compute

Shivangi Desai

non lue,
3 nov. 2022, 03:19:2003/11/2022
à data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Dilawar for the information.
I will look into it too.

Regards,
Shivangi

Thejesh GN

non lue,
3 nov. 2022, 03:44:2903/11/2022
à data...@googlegroups.com
- Nextcloud photos is great. You could also use Nextcloud for other document formats, so can work as all in one document management tool
- You can also check  https://photoprism.app - It can also do some google photos like things like maps, people tagging etc. Its self hosted and FOSS

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com

Nikhil VJ

non lue,
4 nov. 2022, 05:28:1104/11/2022
à data...@googlegroups.com
Hi Shivangi,
There's 2 pathways: self-hosted, and managed by a 3rd party.

For self-hosted, for the infra, there are some cheaper server hosting services available: Ssdnodes, Hetzner.
I'll recco ssdnodes for most Storage+RAM for money (buy for 3 yrs, that's where it gets wayy cheaper). Hetzner comes next and has convenient monthly payment via paypal which works with Indian debit cards. (will not auto-deduct, you pay). And both of these don't have hidden costs - fixed amt each month, no usage-dependent shock bills. (Ssdnodes on 3 yr plan - no monthly paying actvity for 3 yrs!)

Con: this path is self-managed, can take more in-house effort for maintenance, defense against attacks etc. And there is a fixed based cost irrespective of whether ur using it to the full extent or not.

After infra, if we see the actual software that will manage the images, then nextcloud as mentioned is one option.
Sharing another one: https://min.io/  -> it's made to be an open source alternative to Amazon S3 buckets / Azure blob storage etc. Offers features on par with those services, but self-hosted. I have successfully run one instance of it on my server without much effort. But have not heavily used it yet.

----
Managed services:
Azure Blob storage, Google Cloud storage, Amazon AWS are some options.

I have worked with Azure blob professionally and its quite good, integrates well with python and nodejs code. We can also make certain containers (equiv to folders - sort of) public-view, so you can have absolute URLs of all the files and publish those in all places. The links will be direct-download so can be directly embedded, not like you have to open a google driver folder in a new tab or something.

But i wasn't the one paying so don't directly know what that is like. From all the expense reports it seems like a v.small cost for a lot of files.
I've explored their pricing page and it looks fully pay-as-you-go, and very cheap until you reach a v.high amt of usage. Could not find a fixed base cost or other such red flag.

So I'll recco this option. Don't have to spend resources on server setup and management; can start using the service from get-go. If some launch gets delayed a few months, then you won't be incurring high costs during that time. If you have a ton of images saved but in daily usage very few are actually downloaded/uploaded, then it's a lower cost due to that also. You can choose an India server location of the service, so minimal latency (I've experienced no lag with several thousand files fetched as fast as my net would allow).
With Azure Storage Explorer tool I'm able to see/manage all the stored files in an online folder and directly upload there, so I don't have to rely on scripts.

---
All the best.

--
Cheers,
Nikhil VJ

Shivangi Desai

non lue,
6 nov. 2022, 21:58:2506/11/2022
à data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Nikhil and Thej,

Nikhil, thanks for breaking it down. Will look into it.

Regards,
Shivangi

Aman Bhargava

non lue,
8 nov. 2022, 00:07:4608/11/2022
à datameet
Hi!
I've been using Cloudinary for my image storage. It has a decent free-tier and well documented APIs and SDKs. In my workflow, I upload using a Flask form and fetch it via the API. It has been the most hassle-free solution I've found.

From what I can see, it has options to add custom metadata too https://cloudinary.com/documentation/dam_manage_individual_assets#metadata_tab

Once you have the metadata in, it should be easy to add in filtering logic when you're fetching it.

Zeba

non lue,
8 nov. 2022, 00:07:5508/11/2022
à data...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

Is anyone aware of a searchable database of federal or state government contractors in India? Something similar to the FPDS in the U.S. maybe?