State-->District-->Village level data

Shivangi Desai

Jul 26, 2021, 2:30:46 AM7/26/21
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hey All,

I am trying to get village information for all states in India.
I found the district, subdistrict and village data from the 2001 census. But could not find coordinates of the same.

Can you please point me to any API or website that I can use to get this information?
For villages the coordinates would be enough.
Also wanted to figure if there is any specific code that is maintained per village?

Thanks
Shivangi

Mohd. Sayeed Ul Hasan

Jul 26, 2021, 3:03:21 AM7/26/21
to data...@googlegroups.com
U can get data from NASA sedac village boundary shapefile.

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Shivangi Desai

Jul 27, 2021, 1:42:51 AM7/27/21
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Sayeed.

But somehow i cannot find the linkage between the district and village codes given in the shape files at https://sedac.ciesin.columbia.edu/data/set/india-india-village-level-geospatial-socio-econ-1991-2001/

The district code and village codes dont match. In the spatial data all district and village codes for states restart from 0 while in the census data they have code which is unique across the country.

Has anyone else faced this issue?

Thanks & Regards
Shivangi

Naraina Damle

Aug 25, 2021, 2:25:17 AM8/25/21
to datameet
There is a difference in the Village numbering in 2001 and 2011. Let me check what is the solution.

Naraina Damle

Aug 25, 2021, 2:30:13 AM8/25/21
to datameet
Found it.

Download local government Directory from this site.

https://lgdirectory.gov.in/

This is one of the best and easiest dat ato download. Its LOCALBODYMAPPING file has both 2001 and 2011 numbers with their own new numbers for villages added after 2011

Shivangi Desai

Aug 25, 2021, 11:36:27 PM8/25/21
to data...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Naraina, I will look into it.

Regards,
Shivangi

shantanu oak

Sep 30, 2021, 10:00:06 AM9/30/21
to datameet
Hi,
This is regarding Shivangi's question titled "State-->District-->Village level data".

DTName column is same as district column "DID,C,254" in the census data.
SDTName column is same as taluka column  "TID,C,254" in the census data.
State code is the same in both. (for e.g. 27 for Maharashtra)

Districts are numbered from 1 to 35 exactly as they appear in the census file and those numbers are used in the shape file.
Talukas are also numbered from 1 to x (x being the number of talukas in each district). The sequence is same in both the files.

Here is the python code for district and taluka:

census = pd.read_csv("census.CSV")
census = census.apply(lambda s: s.str.replace("'", ""))
census = census[census["DTName"] != "MAHARASHTRA"]
ndf = census[census["SDTCode"] == "00000"]
ndf["mapindex"] = np.arange(1, len(ndf) + 1)
ndf[["DTCode", "Name", "mapindex"]]

taluka = census[census["TVCode"] == "000000"]
taluka = taluka[taluka["SDTCode"] != "00000"]
taluka["sno"] = (taluka.groupby(["DTName"]).cumcount()+ 1)

The full code is available here...

I have tested with Maharashtra data but the same logic can be applied to other states.

-- Shantanu

Samarth Water Consultants Pvt. Ltd.

Oct 5, 2021, 10:33:28 PM10/5/21
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

Does anyone have idea from where we can get Cadestral Map Shape files for Madhya Pradesh?

Regards

Sharad Lele

Oct 7, 2021, 7:53:30 AM10/7/21
to datameet
Go to https://mpbhulekh.gov.in/mpbhulekh.do and choose 'land parcel map' from the dashboard on the home page (have to scroll to right).

MP used to have a Bhunaksha portal like other states, but they seem to have purposely disabled it!

kamlesh sharma

Jan 12, 2022, 6:31:49 PM1/12/22
to data...@googlegroups.com

Sharad Lele

Jan 12, 2022, 9:39:25 PM1/12/22
to datameet
Thanks, KK.
I checked this out. Apart from the fact that it is not downloadable, I find that the layer has many errors. Lots of generalization of boundaries and actual errors in locating villages... :-(

Just sharing my observations for others to be aware of...

Sharad