For Map Geeks - Historical Maps of India - Beautiful

Thejesh GN

May 22, 2014, 10:48:41 AM5/22/14
to data...@googlegroups.com

sumandro

May 23, 2014, 3:24:34 AM5/23/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Dear Thej,

Thanks for the links. Have seen them earlier. And some more. Should put them together in one place. And realign them on web maps. All very exciting.

Maybe can taken up in future GeoBLR hack-meets?

Bests,

sumandro
ajantriks.net

Sanjay Bhangar

May 23, 2014, 4:32:03 AM5/23/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
Nice maps!

Does anyone know what the license for these maps is?

One can use mapwarper.net to align the maps (the same tool as
maps.nypl.org/warper ), and get WMS feeds / GeoTIFF, etc. which makes
it super-easy to overlay on existing online maps, etc. once the
alignment is done. If anyone needs help with the tool, let know, have
worked with the developer, Tim Waters, and he'd be happy to chip in ..

There is also a budding Open Historical Maps project with a mailing
list at https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/historic and some
experiments underway at http://openhistoricalmap.org . It will be
great to have more mappers from India involved in the project.

Will be great to start having a common repository / index of indian
historical maps - once the maps are warped, there's some really fun,
beautiful possibilities for historical map visualizations .. let me
know if I can help out in any way.

Thanks for posting these!
-Sanjay
> --
> ---

Avinash Celestine

May 23, 2014, 5:27:20 AM5/23/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
http://www.oldmapsonline.org/ searches across various map libraries for old georeferenced maps...

Avinash

Thejesh GN

Jun 5, 2014, 11:28:05 AM6/5/14
to data...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to geo reference some old maps of Bangalore using mapwraper. I will let you know how it goes.

Thej
--
Thejesh GN  ತೇಜೇಶ್ ಜಿ.ಎನ್
http://thejeshgn.com