Need lat long of 7935 towns of India

Ravi Chopra

Jul 8, 2022, 2:57:03 AM7/8/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,
I am looking for lat-long or point data of ~8000 cities/towns of India.

Thanks and regards,
Ravi

Deepak Sharda

Jul 8, 2022, 3:56:41 AM7/8/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
Try geo sadak platform for habitation. You need to parse the information you require.

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---

Dammalapati Sai Krishna

Jul 8, 2022, 4:02:14 AM7/8/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
I'm just curious, do you have the list of 7935 towns and cities? Seems an easy task to get the geospatial coordinates if we have this list (Which every e-commerce firm generally has, I assume).

Regards,
Sai Krishna.

Deepak Sharda

Jul 8, 2022, 5:02:43 AM7/8/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
When you say town or city what you refer too?

you can get all districts (735+ ) +  (6500+) sub district from many sources.

Or if have the list of town names i will provide you with the coordinates.

Kindly share.

Sarath Guttikunda

Jul 8, 2022, 5:11:18 AM7/8/22
to data...@googlegroups.com
https://www.mrexcel.com/excel-tips/find-latitude-and-longitude-for-each-city-in-excel/
This is one option -- if you have the names.

If the program doesn't recognize the name immediately, it will give you options to select. I never tried for more than 20 city names. Some manual work involved cross-checking, but it worked.

With best wishes,
Sarath

--
Dr. Sarath Guttikunda
http://www.urbanemissions.info

Jobin Jose

Jul 8, 2022, 5:42:38 AM7/8/22
to data...@googlegroups.com

Arun Ganesh

Jul 8, 2022, 11:18:15 AM7/8/22
to datameet
Per https://lgdirectory.gov.in/, there are 248 municipal corporations and 4,550 other urban local bodies. Full list without coordinates https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1qlnnjJA9PBW9vPtz8tn-7_ZF8GAjPsr2JqNobxBjdJ8/edit?usp=sharing

On OSM, there are around 8,000 points tagged as a city, town or suburb. Have extracted it here as a geojson https://www.kaggle.com/datasets/planemad/openstreetmap-india-cities-and-towns

Please do share how you are using this data.