[Delhi Chapter Update] Meeting with Delhi Government

Guneet Narula

Apr 15, 2016, 2:11:35 AM4/15/16
to datameet
Dear all,

Just wanted to update everyone on an important meeting we had earlier this month. Hrid Bijoy Chakraborty from the office of the deputy chief minister, Delhi contacted DataMeet last month regarding Delhi government's plans to roll out the Mohalla Sabha Project - which is an idea to increase local participation in governance and promote decentralization. He wanted to discuss with us possibilities of GIS and open data related to the same. Four of us (Nisha, Shashank, Praachi and I) met him and his colleagues on 5th April at the Delhi Secretariat. We discussed their objectives in length. Not surprisingly the project is complex and lengthy - and maybe, rightly so. An important point to note, about three thousand mohalla sabha's have been mapped out by the government according to electoral booths.

By the end of the meeting, we chalked out three broad action points:

1. Government will open relevant data about these mohalla sabhas, demographics of the registered voters residing in each sabha. DataMeet Delhi will help create and visualize a baseline with all this information.
2. Using this as a building block, DataMeet Delhi will work towards the larger goal of Open Data Policy/Act in Delhi.
3. Help one of the government departments to organize and archive their public documents (PDFs of acts, policies, schemes etc.) on the web. This may then be replicated for all departments.

As of now, we are waiting for Delhi Government to take the next steps in each case. We will try to organize DataMeets around these as and when required. And of course keep you all updated on what's happening.

Regards,
Guneet

manojdiw...@gmail.com

Jan 13, 2023, 1:44:02 PM1/13/23
to datameet
hii

Prabhakar Rajagopal

Jan 13, 2023, 9:04:32 PM1/13/23
to data...@googlegroups.com
Good initiative. Involving civil society from the beginnings in open data projects.
Crowdsourcing information from the communities will be a good idea.

Best wishes. Please keep posted on progress.

Prabhakar

--
Datameet is a community of Data Science enthusiasts in India. Know more about us by visiting http://datameet.org
---