Re: Where is DataMapper 2?

Gus Shotz

Mar 2, 2013, 7:29:48 PM3/2/13
to datam...@googlegroups.com
Here is the official status and roadmap page.

On Saturday, 2 March 2013 18:56:42 UTC-5, Ivan Pavkovic wrote:
I noticed various references to DataMapper 2 on the developer's Github account, but cannot locate it anywhere.

Has it actually been released yet? Is there a list of changes anywhere?

Thanks

solnic

Mar 4, 2013, 1:22:36 AM3/4/13
to datam...@googlegroups.com
On Sunday, March 3, 2013 1:29:48 AM UTC+1, Gus Shotz wrote:
Here is the official status and roadmap page.

I should add that dm-mapper is going through another round of refactoring. We've decided to drop the idea of using "engines" and always rely on veritas as our RA abstraction (this means that for Arel support we need a veritas-arel-adapter). It seems like we're finally going into right direction though so I expect after refactoring is done we'll be able to release dm-mapper 2.0.0.alpha1.

Refactoring in dm-mapper will also allow us to finally integrate dm-session (this will provide "dirty tracking" and UnitOfWork). Currently dm-session doesn't include an UoW though (I started spiking it out here).

All DM2-related projects are now listed on our new status page. This is a lot of projects and they aren't grouped yet so things might be a bit confusing for people unfamiliar with the development. We'll improve that :)

Cheers

# solnic

Michael McDermott

Mar 4, 2013, 8:03:22 AM3/4/13
to datam...@googlegroups.com
As a rookie looking to help out if time materializes, where might you suggest looking?

Piotr Solnica

Mar 8, 2013, 2:30:32 PM3/8/13
to datam...@googlegroups.com
On Monday, March 4, 2013 at 2:03 PM, Michael McDermott wrote:
As a rookie looking to help out if time materializes, where might you suggest looking?
#datamapper irc channel is the best place for now. We'll be building a whole new website with lots of information too but it's gonna take some time until it's ready.

# solnic

Jonas Pfenniger

Aug 20, 2013, 11:33:14 AM8/20/13
to datam...@googlegroups.com
Seems like it has changed again and is now named ROM-rb : http://rom-rb.org/roadmap/

Tiago Cardoso

Aug 21, 2013, 3:26:26 AM8/21/13
to datam...@googlegroups.com
#vaporware ?

Piotr Solnica

Aug 21, 2013, 6:32:23 AM8/21/13
to Tiago Cardoso, datam...@googlegroups.com
Not really, first release of ROM will be pushed later this week.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "DataMapper" group.

Avdi Grimm

Sep 1, 2013, 10:32:08 PM9/1/13
to datam...@googlegroups.com

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 3:26 AM, Tiago Cardoso <honeyry...@gmail.com> wrote:
#vaporware ?

Dan and Piotr have been spending all their free time working on DM2/ROM for a couple years now. Calling it "vaporware" because you haven't been following their updates is pretty rude, and does nothing to advance this Open Source project.

--
Avdi Grimm
http://avdi.org

I only check email twice a day. to reach me sooner, go to http://awayfind.com/avdi

Abe Voelker

Sep 1, 2013, 10:44:42 PM9/1/13
to datam...@googlegroups.com
I agree Avdi.  As someone who does follow the DataMapper projects, let me just say I'm really thankful for the original DataMapper, and am really looking forward to ROM - I like what I see so far!  Heck I'm already benefiting from the modularization of the project as I often reach for virtus when I am making certain POROs.

Thanks for all the hard work Piotr, Dan, and any and all other contributors!

solnic

Sep 3, 2013, 3:52:33 AM9/3/13
to datam...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Avdi and Abe for your kind words.

To be honest I can see that people could've thought that DM2 (now ROM) became a vaporware. We went through 2 or 3 prototypes before getting to the point where ROM is now. As Avdi wrote - we work on ROM during our free time and we're very busy people which means we have very little of that free time for OSS. If we counted all the time we've spent on DM2 and then ROM so far I bet it wouldn't be more than 3-4 months of full time work (this doesn't include Dan's work on axiom as it was much much more as he started the project in 2010). Those 3-4 months of work happened over the course of 1.5 year. Yes it's sad and frustrating but we simply cannot afford working more on OSS.

Unfortunately development of ROM is an ad-hoc process. It's hard to tell when something will be done and people are usually asking about it. I used to try to answer those questions and now I consider it as a mistake. I don't know when I'll finish anything in OSS because I work on it only when I have free time. And this is something unpredictable so it's not possible to predict when I'll finish anything. I'm pretty sure rest of the team is in the same situation as I am.

Good news is we finally released ROM a little over a week ago and it's under very active development. If we find time this year to finish new SQL generator and integrate it with Axiom we will have nice support for SQL in ROM before end of the year. But then again, it will only happen if we find time.

ROM is an enormous effort, those kind of libraries have been developed for many years in other languages (see python's SQLAlchemy for example) and yet those libraries aren't as powerful as we want ROM to become.

Thanks for your support

# solnic