Airports

Chris Wallace

Jan 22, 2011, 6:15:10 PM1/22/11
to Data Incubator
I posted a response to this question on getthedata.org:

http://getthedata.org/questions/137/where-can-i-get-a-list-of-all-airports-codes-names-locations

which referenced the airports dataset which I see is described in
CKAN

http://ckan.net/package/data-incubator-our-airports

(though I have credited Ian rather than Rob?)

It raises some questions:

a) is this refreshed? at what period? How do I find the date of last
refresh?
b) are full RDF downloads available? I asked this question at a Talis
open day but I'm not sure what the answer was.
c) queries about airports are also answerable via dbpedia - comparing
the two

- the dataincubator dataset contains 6280 airports with IATA codes,
whereas dbpedia has 8409
- the dataincubator dataset has no single airport type to query - its
split over largeAirport, mediumAirport ,smallAirport etc
- there are over 27000 smallairports alone in the dataincubator,
only 10134 in dbPedia
- although the ICAO code is used in forming the URI, it is no
available as a property (unlike the IATA code)

I wonder which one would use in practice

Chris

Rob Styles

Jan 24, 2011, 7:34:49 AM1/24/11
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

The airport data came from ourairports.com and is not actively
updated. There are a few bugs in it too.

The hope was that ourairports.com would take on publishing RDF but
David Megginson who runs the site wasn't interested.

rob

> --

Rob Styles
http://dynamicorange.com