LOD Cloud Update: Data Incubator projects

Ian Davis

Jul 28, 2010, 7:38:31 AM7/28/10
to Richard Cyganiak, datain...@googlegroups.com
Hi Richard,

Can you consider the following for the LOD cloud update. I think all
of these are in the 0 to 10 million triples range

Airports
http://airports.dataincubator.org/
Example: http://airports.dataincubator.org/airports/KBHM
Links to: dbpedia.org

Discogs
http://discogs.dataincubator.org/
Example: http://discogs.dataincubator.org/release/177662
Links to: dbpedia.org, musicbrainz.org

Moseley Folk Festival
http://moseley.dataincubator.org/
Example: http://moseley.dataincubator.org/artist/beth-orton
Links to: discogs.dataincubator.org, BBC music, dbpedia

NASA
http://nasa.dataincubator.org/
Example: http://nasa.dataincubator.org/spacecraft/1997-058C
Links to: dbpedia.org

Pokedex
http://pokedex.dataincubator.org/
Example: http://pokedex.dataincubator.org/pokemon/465
Links to: dbpedia.org

The following are also available, but I don't think they qualify
because they are not interlinked with other datasets yet. Come on list
members, it's time to get these interlinked!

JACS
http://jacs.dataincubator.org/
Example: http://jacs.dataincubator.org/j700
Links to:

OECD Glossary of Statistics
http://oecd.dataincubator.org/
Example: http://oecd.dataincubator.org/glossary/concepts/6071
Links to:

Office for National Statistics Taxonomies
http://ons.dataincubator.org/
Example: http://ons.dataincubator.org/soc2000/21
Links to:

Linked Periodicals Data
http://periodicals.dataincubator.org/
Example: http://periodicals.dataincubator.org/journal/electrical-engineering-japan
Links to:

Yahoo Weather
http://yahooweather.dataincubator.org/
Example: http://yahooweather.dataincubator.org/forecast/UKXX0052
Links to:

Climb
http://climb.dataincubator.org/
Example:

Cheers,

Ian

Christopher Gutteridge

Jul 28, 2010, 8:53:51 AM7/28/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com
A couple of random ideas.

> The following are also available, but I don't think they qualify
> because they are not interlinked with other datasets yet. Come on list
> members, it's time to get these interlinked!

I'm a bit concerned about the drive to link for the sake of it. I
suspect that scruffy owl:sameAs dbpedia:foo triples will be the
page-under-construction type noise of linked data web *grin*. We need to
make sure people link to good solid identifiers, only using dbpedia as a
last resort.

On 28/07/10 12:38, Ian Davis wrote:
> Moseley Folk Festival
> http://moseley.dataincubator.org/
> Example: http://moseley.dataincubator.org/artist/beth-orton
> Links to: discogs.dataincubator.org, BBC music, dbpedia

If anybody knows anyone working on conference, convention or festival
programme data, I've got an active interest in this area, and would be
keen to hear from them. I've been working on a very small
event-programme ontology designed to be extended for various purposes
but allow simple tools to work on a variety of event types.

Lastly, for funsies, I've been working on a few datasets, not in data
incubator, but still may be of amusement. The most satisfying is the
game ontology and my implementation of chess using it.
http://graphite.ecs.soton.ac.uk/browser/?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fdata.totl.net%2Fchess%2Fstate%2Frnbqkbnr_pppppppp_8_8_8_8_PPPPPPPP_RNBQKBNR_w_KQkq_-_0_1

I'm looking at adding a second part to the game schema so it can
describe an instance of a game, eg. Thingy vs Kasparov.

There's lots of other not-actually-useful datasets I've created on
http://data.totl.net/ -- they are intended to amuse or worry people
rather than be very useful. It's how I wind down for creating useful
dull data in the day job.

--
Christopher Gutteridge -- http://id.ecs.soton.ac.uk/person/1248

/ Lead Developer, EPrints Project, http://eprints.org/
/ Web Projects Manager, ECS, University of Southampton, http://www.ecs.soton.ac.uk/
/ Webmaster, Web Science Trust, http://www.webscience.org/

Richard Cyganiak

Jul 29, 2010, 4:34:13 AM7/29/10
to Ian Davis, datain...@googlegroups.com, Leigh Dodds
Hi Ian,

Thanks for this list! Details below.

On 28 Jul 2010, at 12:38, Ian Davis wrote:
> Can you consider the following for the LOD cloud update. I think all
> of these are in the 0 to 10 million triples range
>
> Airports
> http://airports.dataincubator.org/
> Example: http://airports.dataincubator.org/airports/KBHM
> Links to: dbpedia.org

Added. See my separate email for some quality issues though.

Will add it if Leigh fixes the 404ing homepage, and if he can get me a
total triple count. (SPARQLing for the number of triples timed out.)

(The DBpedia links are all broken. There are no links to musicbrainz,
but there are some to the dbtune myspace wrapper, which is sufficient
for my purposes. This dataset really needs some love and attention.)

Ok, added.

I couldn't find any DBpedia links. I did find a single link to bbc/
programmes but would like to see more before listing it in the LOD
cloud.

Ok, added.

A general note on Data Incubator: It's a terrific project, and I
absolutely want to see it succeed! As someone exploring the available
data, I found that most datasets lacked information about

1. who the maintainer is, and how to contact him or her,
2. the license of the dataset,
3. an extended prose description of the dataset, including a section
on limitations/open issues/known bugs/TODOs.

The lack of this information makes confident re-use difficult, and can
lead to a lot of wasted time in the case of “first draft” datasets,
which by all means should be published on Data Incubator, but I
shouldn't have to google through the mailing list to learn about its
limitations.

The information above is essential for all datasets, so IMO it should
be made available as part of the Data Incubator machinery, rather than
relying on the dataset curator to make it available as metadata within
the dataset.

Again, thanks for creating this site, keep up the great work!

Richard

Keith Alexander

Jul 30, 2010, 1:44:09 PM7/30/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com, Richard Cyganiak