OpenlyLocal RDF suggestions

Ian Davis

Apr 24, 2010, 7:15:34 PM4/24/10
to countc...@gmail.com, datain...@googlegroups.com
Hi Chris,

I'm about to use the RDF you're producing from OpenlyLocal.com and I
noticed a few simple things that you could do to improve it. I'll use
Aberdeen City Council as an example. See
http://openlylocal.com/councils/37.rdf

The first thing is the rdf:type of the council doesn't refer to a
valid URI. Currently you have:

<rdf:type rdf:resource="openlylocal:UnitaryAuthority"/>

That should perhaps be

<rdf:type rdf:resource="http://openlylocal.com/id/types/UnitaryAuthority"/>

Or, if you're following the UK Government guidelines, perhaps you
should put it under a /def directory:

<rdf:type rdf:resource="http://openlylocal.com/def/types/UnitaryAuthority"/>

The second thing is the foaf:homepage. This should really be an
rdf:resource. Currently you have:

<foaf:homepage>http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk</foaf:homepage>

This would be much better written as:

<foaf:homepage rdf:resource="http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk" />

My final suggestion is around the VCard. The schema for VCards was
recently updated by the W3C. This was a collaboration between various
people who had part-completed VCard schemas in the past, so I think it
represents a good stable consensus. In the example below I am using
the OpenVocab business card property that can link something to its
VCard. You'll need to add the following namespace declarations to your
RDF output:

xmlns:ov="http://open.vocab.org/terms/"
xmlns:v="http://www.w3.org/2006/vcard/ns#"

This is what I suggest in place of your existing vCard:ADR element:

<ov:businessCard>
<v:VCard rdf:resource="http://openlylocal.com/id/councils/37/card">
<v:adr>
<v:Postal rdf:resource="http://openlylocal.com/id/councils/37/postal">
<v:extended-address>St. Nicholas House, Broad Street, Aberdeen
AB10 1AR</v:extended-address>
<v:country-name>Scotland</v:country-name>
</v:Postal>
</v:adr>
</v:VCard>
</ov:businessCard>

If you adopt this then you can probably drop your vcard namespace declaration.

Hope you find these suggestions useful. I've copied this message to
the dataincubator.org mailing list which has a bunch of people who are
really interested in encouraging more and better data to be published
on the web. Feel free to ask me or the list if you have any questions
or need any help.

Thanks for producing OpenlyLocal - it's a truly excellent piece of work.

Cheers,