Re: Weather

Message has been deleted

Keith Alexander

Jul 26, 2010, 9:49:55 AM7/26/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Sorry, it's not working at the moment, I will try to take some time
soon to finish it and notify the list when it is ready.

Keith

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM, John Goodwin <got...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone knows of some example work URIs for
>
> http://yahooweather.dataincubator.org/
>
> Can't seem to get anything to work - maybe some examples would be good?
>
> cheers,
>
> John
>
> --
>
> Homepage: http://www.johngoodwin.me.uk
> Blog: http://johngoodwin225.wordpress.com
> Personal URI: http://www.johngoodwin.me.uk/me
>
> Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe
> that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams

John Goodwin

Jul 26, 2010, 10:01:17 AM7/26/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Ok - thanks for your reply. I thought it was something I was doing wrong.

cheers,

John

--

Homepage: http://www.johngoodwin.me.uk
Blog: http://johngoodwin225.wordpress.com
Personal URI: http://www.johngoodwin.me.uk/me

Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams

Sorry, it's not working at the moment, I will try to take some time
soon to finish it and notify the list when it is ready.

Keith

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 1:43 PM, John Goodwin <got...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering if anyone knows of some example work URIs for
>
> http://yahooweather.dataincubator.org/
>
> Can't seem to get anything to work - maybe some examples would be good?
>
> cheers,
>
> John
>
> --
>
> Homepage: http://www.johngoodwin.me.uk
> Blog: http://johngoodwin225.wordpress.com
> Personal URI: http://www.johngoodwin.me.uk/me
>
> Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe
> that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? - Douglas Adams

Keith Alexander

Jul 26, 2010, 10:10:27 AM7/26/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Oh, actually, it is still working, eg:

http://yahooweather.dataincubator.org/forecast/UKXX0052

but I've been meaning to change some things, and haven't done it yet.

Cheers

Keith

>> dataincubato...@googlegroups.com.

>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/dataincubator?hl=en.
>>

> --

> dataincubato...@googlegroups.com.

> For more options, visit this group at
> http://groups.google.com/group/dataincubator?hl=en.
>
> --

> dataincubato...@googlegroups.com.

John Goodwin

Jul 26, 2010, 10:12:45 AM7/26/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com
Ah ok - I was using the wrong area codes I think. Is there a link to a list of valid area codes?

John

Sent: Monday, 26 July, 2010 15:10:27
>> dataincubator+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

>> For more options, visit this group at
>> http://groups.google.com/group/dataincubator?hl=en.
>>

> --

Keith Alexander

Jul 26, 2010, 10:36:47 AM7/26/10
to datain...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 3:12 PM, John Goodwin <got...@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> Ah ok - I was using the wrong area codes I think. Is there a link to a list
> of valid area codes?

Not at the moment - that's one of the things I want to get around to
changing. At the moment, you would have to look up the forecast on
yahoo, and look for the code in the link to the RSS feed for the
forecast.

What I want to change is:

The modelling of the relationship between the forecast and the
geographical area. URIs for forecast should ideally be unique and
stable, but the uri for the document of the most recent forecast (at
least) should be guessable, and you shouldn't have to know the yahoo
code. something like /forecast/UK/Edinburgh
I was thinking maybe it should be modelled as an RSS 1.0 channel, and
the relationship should be something like

dbpedia:Edinburgh weather:forecastChannel </forecast/UK/Edinburgh> .
</forecast/UK/Edinburgh> a rss:channel ;
rss:items [
a rdf:Seq ;
rdf:_1 </forecast/UK/Edinburgh/2010-06-28-08:27> .
] .

I should also change the way that units and measurements are modelled.

Anyone have any other thoughts on how to model weather forecasts?